+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Danville 8/0 thread?

Hybrid View

Default Danville 8/0 thread?

Is there such a thing? I have been using Uni thread in 6/0 and mainly 8/0 for my bluegill and trout flies. The 8/0 is all I use for my winged wet flies.
    However, someone gave me a partial spool of Danville Flymaster 6/0 thread. I LOVE how it lays so flat! However, I would still prefer it a bit smaller for some things. Does Danville make a similar thread in 8/0? I would think that would be perfect! A flat-laying, small diameter thread. Tell me it's so!

Blog Entries

I use 12/0 for virtually all tying... Salmon flies, too... Only exception off the top of my head is for spinning deer hair. Building small well-shaped heads is easy...

Normand Guest

danville does not make an 8/0 thread

check out their website to be certain

www.danvillechenille.com

Default spiderweb

I did see from Normand's link that danville makes a product they call spiderweb, a 30 denier tying thread... I'm not sure what a person would use 30 denier for but that's the smallest I saw. What would a person use 30 denier for anyway?

Fish
    Wet wadin' hillbilly extraordinaire

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play.

Heraclitus

Normand Guest

use spiderweb thread for the smallest of flies or when you dont want thread build up

good thread article to bookmark

http://flyfisherman.com/ftb/ssthread/index2.html

there is also an excellent article in chris helms whitetail fly tying catalog on thread

just GOOGLE "chris helm whitetail" and download a copy.
    Last edited by Normand; 10-15-2009 at 11:23 AM.

I've been using Gordon Griffith 14/0.
    While I don't use that supplier anymore, I do love using the fine thread and the ultra smooth fly's I can tye with it.
    Fine threads can be a challenge if one tends to be heavy handed with their tying. But with a rotary vice they are really great for building bodies and heads.
    Instead of wrapping with it, you let the rotary draw it from your bobbin as you guide it into place.
    I like that for building body shapes and heads.
    Sonny Edmonds

"If I don't teach them, how will those Grand Kids learn to fish?"
    Lesson 1: What catches fish Vs: What catches fisherman's money.

Spiderweb is listed as 18/0.

Smile

Danville's 6/0 lies so flat that you hardly need anything else in most cases. I even use it for salt water and for spinning deer hair. The only real problem I have is that it doesn't build up fast enough when you want to make a large head.

You could try some Benecchi 12/0. It lays flat, a little smaller than Flymaster and is nice to work with.

I'm surprised that no one has said this yet, but I thought that the Danville 6/0 (now labeled 70 denier I think) was pretty similar to Uni 8/0.

Have you seen this article?
    http://www.flyfisherman.com/ftb/ssthread/index2.html

Now if you want ridiculously thin thread... try this stuff. It is only 20 denier. I use it for wrapping around the post on parachute flies. You can make excessive numbers of wraps with little to no buildup. But you have to have a light hand or you will break it. I think I've seen actual spider web with higher breaking strength.
    http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/...is-Thread.html
    Tim

+ Reply to Thread