+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Deceiver hooks

Default Deceiver hooks

I like the split shot (Gamakatsu 50410) hooks for deceivers. I'm not sure if it would make a difference, what do you guys recommend?
    Thanks
    I believe I can fly fish

I use the Mustad 3407 plated hooks
    .. I get them at the hardware store.... dollar a pack
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I like the Gamakatsu SL11-3H (although pricey). I also use the mustad 3407, but I can't get them as sharp as the Gamakatsu. If I had to pick it would be the mustad, buying the others would kill my wallet. I also use them for clousers and other baitfish patterns. Try a few different brands and see what fits for you.

Go catch a fish,

Gary

I use Mustad 3407 and buy them by the hundred. I can get them very sharp with a file. I sharpen at the vise before tying but I find the 3407 easier to resharpen in the field compared to other hooks. Due to the inexpensive cost I tie a lot of flies that I will likely lose with these. the barbs are easy to crush too and I do this before I tie on them. I have caught everything from bluegill to tuna with flies tied on the 3407. I find the Eagle Claw LO67 comparable. The Mustad C70SD is nice improvement over the 3407 and still a good value. I don't use the Mustad 34007 much since I find it more difficult to sharpen these stainless steel hook in the field as well as crush the barbs.

I was comped a hundred Targus 800 and 812 model hooks to try out as well as a few Partridge CS52 hooks. These are stainless steel and appear to be nice hooks too. I found it easier to crush barbs on the Targus hooks compared to other stainless steel hooks. These all need sharpening. I have tied several dozen flies with these but have not fished them yet. I'm sure they will work fine. Another similar hook is the TFS 7258, offered by The Fly Shop in Redding CA under their own label. They appear to be pretty decent from the feed back I have heard and inexpensive at $2.88 per 25 (plus shipping and CA sales tx for us CA folks).

Tiemco 800 and 812 are very nice, but I pefer the Gamakatsu at comparable prices.

I use Gamakatsu SL11-3H and SL12S, Owner 5710 Aki, and Spirit River Trey Combs Big Game hook too. I use them for flies that I want to absolutely want to have the best chance of hooking the fish and having it stay stuck. The Owner and Trey Combs hooks I primarily use in sizes 5/0 and larger.

I have used some Owner and Gamakatsu Spinner Bait hooks and Eagle Claw and Mustad Worm hooks too and they work just fine.

With all that, you will find the majority of deceivers and similar patterns in my boxes tied on the Mustad 3407 (60%) or Gamakatsu SL11-3H (30%) with the balance on other hooks. The barb on the 3407 is larger than I like and I think impairs penetration as it is out of the box. On flies that I do not crush the barb, I file it down some. So the 3407 requires more work out of the box to get it fish ready, but is an excellent value.
    Last edited by tailingloop; 10-15-2009 at 01:48 AM.

Thanks much guys.
    I believe I can fly fish

+ Reply to Thread