Thread: How much fly line out of rod to cast ok?

Threaded View

Default How much fly line out of rod to cast ok?

Ok friends. Well....enemies too if you don't mind. Another question from the mannequin here. The dummy with the wooden head.

I have been collecting rods, reels and lines for a few years now. Now I am trying to put them together. I am wondering if a few of you brains out there can help me.

I wonder what the specs mean....to me....on fly lines. They list different lengths of running lines, tapers, bellies, etc. How much of what do you have to have out of the rod to load the rod and false cast and then cast.....by really loading the rod? What does it take to load the rod?

Example.....I have a Rio Classic WF5F floating line that says:

<running line 61'><back taper 4.5'><body or belly 28.3'><front taper 6.7'><tip .5'>

How many feet of the above specs do I have to have out the end of the rod....(the right half end of the specs) to be casting to fish? Can I cast to 15'....or does enough of the line have to be out that I can only cast as close as say 25'?

Because....I have a Sharkskin WF6F floating line that says:
    <running line 46'><head length 54'><rear taper 13'><belly {1}15.5'>
    <belly {2} front taper 9'><tip .5'>

How many feet of THIS line do I have to have out to fish with the line?

And I have a Rio Classic Double Taper that says:
    <tip .5'><taper 8'><body 73'><taper 8'><tip .5'>

I asked because a pretty intelligent fellow at coffee this morning looked at the sharkskin box and said wow....x amount of this and that...and said it would only be good for big rivers because it would have to have so much line out to be effective. In other words not a good line for our trout lakes and streams.

I dunno. So I am asking you guys. I don't want to reel up a line that is no good for my area. I guess sorta dumb question but not. I have fished WF's and know I can use them. I have not fished a Sharkskin. My friend has me convinced it is worthless for here. So I reckon I better load the reel with the WF line.

Would one only be good for me here locally with my trout streams and lakes.....and would one need so much line out that it would only be good for BIG rivers which I don't have?

I only have one reel to put a floating line on....and I don't know which one to install.
    Last edited by Gemrod; 10-13-2009 at 03:01 AM.