Sport fishing column for Oct 12 to 19, 2009

I am stepping away from my tails of the Canadian National Fly Fishing Championship for a time to address other issues. Recently I have been questioned and criticized on the report section of this column. This is always a good thing; it tells me people are reading it. If you have been one of our loyal readers for a year or more, you will have found that not much changes year to year. The reason for this is healthy waters and proven fishing methods remain as it is written the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow. In the words of Lillooet legend Hal Staythers (one of my many mentors) "If it worked fifty years ago and still works today, it's worth having in your fly box." Fish, waters, and seasons are timeless; therefore what works today will work for our grandchildren in seasons to come, that is if mankind with our better ideas can remember this.

I write my suggestion with the novice and season in mind. A good rating in winter would not even qualify as poor in summer due to the changes in fish feeding behavior. My fly suggestions may not be the flavor of the month netting the experts occasional fifty fish days, but will over time net the novice consistent success. While I occasionally mention fish size or numbers landed by the experts, I find making a practice of this counter productive to the novice struggling for one fish. I choose to leave location suggestion general because finding the glory hole yourself is part of the thrill when it all comes together. A good guide points you in the right direction giving you just enough to find your own success, and keeps his mouth quiet while you tell it all.

The Report

Fishing on our lower mainland lakes is slowing down. Looks like winter is coming early which means it is time to move your fishing times to mid day in the north eastern sections of your favorite lakes. For wet (sinking) fly fishing try: Chironomid, Professor, Nations Black, Baggy Shrimp, Carey Special, Souboo, Zulu, Halfback, Caddis Nymph, Big Black, Wooly Bugger, Doc Spratley, or Dragonfly Nymph.

Ice is forming on the high elevation interior lakes. This means it is time to go if you are debating that one last interior trip. For wet fly fishing try: Chironomid, Nations Silver Tip, Sixpack, 52 Buick, Butlers Bug, Pheasant Tail Nymph, Big Black, Damsel Nymph, Dragon Nymph, Green Spratley, Caddis Nymph, or Baggy Shrimp.

The Fraser River is good for spring, Coho, cutthroat, and chum. For Coho try: Coho Blue, Christmas Tree, green or black Wooly Bugger, Bite Me, Blue Christmas, or Rolled Muddler. For spring try: Big Black, Popsicle, Squamish Poacher, GP, Flat Black or Eggo. For cutthroat try: Stickleback, Rolled Muddler, Mickey Finn, Tied Down Minnow, Professor, Lioness, Coachman, Sixpack, Zulu, or Souboo.

The Stave River is fair to good for cutthroat, pink, chum, coho, and spring. For pink try: Pink Eve, Cathy's Coat, Happy Hooker, pink Wooly Bugger, Popsicle, Bunny Leach or Eggo.

The Vedder River is good for rainbow, pink, coho, and spring.

The Harrison is good for chum, coho, spring, and cutthroat.

Until the next time, "Keep your fly in the water".