+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Simms vs Folstaff, help

Hybrid View

Default Simms vs Folstaff, help

Took a dip last week in some heavy current and decided that I need a new wading staff. Did a little searching here but still looking for more info. It's down to a Simms or a Folstaff. I think both companies make grand product. If I am spending $100+ on a stick which one and why. Looks like Folstaff has ease of deployment when needed but my dealer said that Simms was nicer and he can use either one. What do you think?

Only considering the Folstaff 3/4" product vs the Simms so I am not looking at the 1/2" Folstaff product.

Normand Guest

i vote folstaf

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    i vote folstaf
    OK Normand, need to pick your brain as to the "why". Have you used a Simms product or seen them to compare the two, or is it that you have used your Folstaff product and am happy with it and have no need to make a change?

I vote Folstaff. Mine is going on 25+ years and I had it rebuilt a couple of years ago. Folstaff will rebuild the staff with new parts and return by Friday if they get it on Monday.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Both the Folstaff & Simms have their fans. I had the 1/2" Folstaff, now have the 3/4" & am MUCH more secure with it. It is easily deployed with just a flick of the wrist, very sturdy, folds up smaller, which makes it easier to carry & has a great warranty & rebuild program. If I somehow lost mine, I would buy another.
    I am not familiar with the Simms.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Thumbs up Folstaff

Clay, RW here

Your dealer gave you a good solid reason for getting the Folstaff. He just said Simms was nicer. What does nicer mean? I've always used Folstaff. It's never let me down. Get the 3/4-inch.

rw
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

I know that the Folstaff product is a proven design and has been around a long time and therefore I expect people that wanted a serious wading staff to have one of those if they bought it more than 7 or 8 years ago. So I am convinced that it is a good reliable product.

Would love to hear from people that have used both products recently. I did read about a guy who did wear through the metal cable in the Simms, Simms did replace it at no cost to the original owner.

+ Reply to Thread