+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waders

Default Waders

My first pair of waders are leaking like a sieve. I think it might be the neoprene socks. I had taken some knee busters that put a hole that I was able to patch, but this leak is only apparent after I go fishing. I plan on doing some winter fishing this year in Arkansas, so my waders need updated. Any one have any tips on my next/last pair of waders? Also, what is the life expectancy of a good pair of waders?

Once again, thanks for the help.

Jason

Default wader repair

turn the waders inside out and spray rubbing alcohol on the waders. Give it a few seconds and any places where there is a small pinhole will show up as little dark spots. I will also use a black sharpie to circle the holes, as the alcohol evaporates quickly. I have used this for years and added a few more seasons to my waders. Hope this helps.

If you are looking to buy, I would have to recommend Simms. Check around and find some on clearance. I got a pair of their discontinued travel waders three years ago and they're still going strong.
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

You can buy all the "HIGH END" waders you want...

but this is one hell of a pair.. going on 2 years and no leeks yet!!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...0023556830475a

Quote Originally Posted by Night Angler View Post
    You can buy all the "HIGH END" waders you want...

but this is one hell of a pair.. going on 2 years and no leeks yet!!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...0023556830475a
    I would agree. These are fine waders for the money!

Bob

p.s. Jason, I can assure you these will not be your last waders
    if you are serious about fly fishing.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Blog Entries

Default Waders

Nght Angler,

I third that

Those are the waders I use and I love them. Second year for me as well, no leaks.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

I think the life expectancy depends on how many days a year you wear them and how hard you are on them. I had a pair of Cabelas Dry Plus II's that lasted me several + years. They finally got to the point where it seemed a new leak appeared everytime I wore them.

In August, I bought a new pair of Simms Headwaters. The minute I put them on, I could tell a big difference between them and the Cabelas I had been wearing. I am not knocking Cabelas. But I had pretty muched decided that when it was time to replace them I would buy Simms. The Simms fit better, are reinforced in front from just above the knee down. And there is a big difference in material between Gor Tex which the Simms are made out of and other breathable material.

Just my 2 cents
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Days on the river will make a difference how long they last. I get quite a few days in a year, but I am careful. Not a lot of hiking, bushwhacking, or sliding down river banks. That said, I have 9 years on a pair of Simms lights. Can't imagine buying anything else when these are finally done.

Lightbulb

IMHO, .. life expectancy also depends on how you treat your boots. If you let gravel get in, the neoprene booties won't last 5 days!

Make sure no gravel gets in, ... sand doesn't really matter, but gravel will work a hole into the soles. My Liliane wears a pair of thin wool socks over her booties.

I actually wear a second neoprene sock OVER the booties and haven't had a problem in 8 years. I just changed to a new pair 'cause the stitching finally strated to leak a tad on my old Wardells.
    Christopher Chin

Gotta 4th the Cabella neoprene thing.
    Have had mine for several years .
    I only wear them when the weather is miserably cold ,and have not been overly gentle with them. They didnt leak the last time out and am going to give em a go again in November . You can get three of these for the same price as one high ender .
    Dont get hung up on a name brand unless the name brand has somthing (other than brand recognition) you are tecnically looking for.

+ Reply to Thread