State record muskie caught in Torch Lake

By Howard Meyerson | The Grand Rapids Press

October 11, 2009, 7:25AM

Courtesy Photo | Alex LafkasKyle Anderson holds the 55-inch-long muskie he caught in Torch Lake. The fish was a 15-year-old female named Queen and was among 19 muskies tagged with an accoustic device by biologists during the past two years.Kyle Anderson had an hour to fish before work at Luhrs Marina on the Torch River two weeks ago.

Kyle Anderson had an hour to fish before work at Luhrs Marina on the Torch River two weeks ago.
A cold front was coming, and the 30-year-old Rapid City angler thought the change might "prompt a good bite."

He never expected just how good it would be. Anderson hooked a 50-pound, 8-ounce Great Lakes muskie that quickly was confirmed as the state record.

"I had a feeling it was going to be a good day," Anderson said. "A cold snap was predicted. I thought it might up the odds of catching an elusive Torch Lake muskie.

State officials say Anderson's record replaces the 48-pound record set in 1984 by the late Charles Edgecomb, of Rapids City. He caught his muskie in Skegemog Lake in Kalkaska County.

Officials also confirmed Anderson's 55-inch-long muskie fish was a 15-year-old female named Queen. It was one of 19 muskies tagged with an accoustic device by biologists during the past two years. The device allows researchers to study the fish's movement through the 75-mile, 14-lake Chain O'Lakes region, which includes Torch and Skegemog lakes.

Muskies are considered the top predator fish in the Great Lakes and are a huge draw for anglers. The state adopted a plan this summer to expand the number of waters where the big, toothy fish might be found in the future.

"This is a gem of a fishery," said Nick Popoff, the Michigan Department of Natural Resources fish biologist who certified Anderson's muskie. "It's a pretty big deal. I think it is neat that he caught it here.

"Lake St. Clair has been the destination muskie spot, but we think this (area) is, too. St. Clair doesn't grow fish this big. They get as long but don't put on as much weight."

Popoff, who also is Anderson's friend, said Queen's death was to be expected, because it is among the risks that comes with studying a public fishery.

Queen hit Anderson's Muskie Magnet lure at 7:50 a.m. that Sunday. The rod shook, and Anderson slowed the boat to see what he had.

"I was extremely excited," Anderson said. "When I saw that white belly, I knew it was bigger than anything I had caught. This was the first time my drag has ever gone off on Torch Lake."

Torch Lake muskies, at least big ones, are more myth than fact, according to Anderson, who spends most days fishing along the Chain of Lakes.

"Most people never encounter them in Torch Lake," he said. "You hear stories and rumors, which get you going."

Anderson said he intended to release the fish, nut Queen appeared to be in trouble, and an hour of trying to help accomplished nothing.

The fish continued to lay in the water along side the boat, barely moving. Anderson finally had to leave for work.

"If anyone deserves it (the record), he does," Popoff said. "He puts an excessive amount of time into the sport. He fishes every day of the year, knows a lot about the fishery. He fishes trout and walleye, but his main passion is muskie.

Anderson said he has "mixed emotions" about his record fish.

"I am happy to have caught a big fish, but very disappointed that it didn't swim away," he said. "If it had, it would still be out in the lake and this would just be a fish story."

Original: http://www.mlive.com/outdoors/index....caught_in.html