Sport fishing column for Oct 19 to 26, 2009

It is "Salmon Season", and since it is; this week I want to reflect a bit about these magnificent fish and their impact on us as a people. Here on the west coast of British Columbia and along the rivers and streams that feed it we have a salmon culture. If you are like most persons in this province, you are oblivious to the uniqueness of this culture and its impact on your life. Long before our time here countless generations of indigenous people and settlers throughout this province, patterned their lives around the salmon runs. Many of our industries also were developed from and around the salmon and their seasons. The world over, thoughts of British Columbia are synonymous with our Pacific Salmon; yet continuously our governments allow industries to negatively impact this resource and our unique cultural heritage. I am not going to get on my soap box this time, as I have done in the past and spout off about fish farms, run of the river projects, and other forms of habitat destruction. This week I would like us all to think about these remarkable creatures and what they have contributed to our BC way of life and then do something toward preserving them for the generations to come.

The Report

Fishing on our lower mainland lakes is slow due to the unsettled weather. It is the time of year when you want to keep an eye on the barometer and work the upward swings. For wet (sinking) fly fishing try: Chironomid, Professor, Nations Black, Baggy Shrimp, Carey Special, Souboo, Zulu, Halfback, Caddis Nymph, Big Black, Wooly Bugger, Doc Spratley, or Dragonfly Nymph.

Jack Frost is starting to close the door on our interior lakes. The low and mid elevation lakes are still producing, but time appears to be short for this fishery. For wet fly fishing try: Chironomid, Nations Silver Tip, Sixpack, 52 Buick, Butlers Bug, Pheasant Tail Nymph, Big Black, Damsel Nymph, Dragon Nymph, Green Spratley, Caddis Nymph, or Baggy Shrimp.

The Fraser River is good for spring, Coho, cutthroat, and chum. For Coho try: Coho Blue, Christmas Tree, green or black Wooly Bugger, Bite Me, Blue Christmas, or Rolled Muddler. For spring try: Big Black, Popsicle, Squamish Poacher, GP, Flat Black or Eggo. For cutthroat try: Stickleback, Rolled Muddler, Mickey Finn, Tied Down Minnow, Professor, Lioness, Coachman, Sixpack, Zulu, or Souboo. For chum try: Eggo, purple Wooly Bugger, Squamish Poacher, Mat green, Dec 25, Red Bull, Flat Black, or dark Popsicle.

The Stave River is fair to good for cutthroat, chum, rainbow, coho, and spring. For rainbow try: Eggo, red Spratley, red Carey, Mickey Finn, Royal Coachman, Zulu, or Black Gnat.

The Vedder River is good for rainbow, chum, and coho.

The Harrison is good for chum, coho, spring, and cutthroat.

Until the next time, "Keep your fly in the water".