+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: THE GOAT'S TOE - Fly of the Week - October 12, 2009

Hi Fishwid,

That looks good. Pukeko makes for great hackles. I've tied a few spey style salmon flies using it. Produces good movement in the water. Yours looks like it should be a producer. Let us know how it goes for you when you give it a try.

- Jeff

Question

Where would I hope to find Peacock neck feathers? I never seen them mentioned before.

Hi Ray,

I picked up a peacock skin at a tackle shop (wasn't a whole skin, mostly the neck). I've not seen them for sale very often though. Peacocks have all sorts of great feathers on them though that I'm often surprised they aren't more widely available. If there are any farmers near you who raise them, they are apparently good eating as well, so if you buy a bird from them you could probably ask him to skin out the neck for you, and to get the body, wing, and tail feathers as well.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Jeff -

Just catching up from not having my computer with me for my last week down in Idaho.

Pretty neat fly - fits my basic criteria of simple, durable, and effective. But I'm not sure I will be able to find peacock for the hackle, and don't really know what I would use for a substitute.

Lots of the good streamer fishermen down in SE Idaho are really big on YELLOW for streamers for brown trout. That is probably the way I will go if I can find a suitable hackling material.

John
    The fish are always right.

John,

"But I'm not sure I will be able to find peacock for the hackle, and don't really know what I would use for a substitute."

Just a suggestion on what I used for a substitute....

I had a Pheasant Rump Patch in black that had the blue/green sheen to it and it palmered pretty well for a hackle collar.

Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Warren -

I thought of pheasant, but I gave away the only complete skin I had while organizing stuff for my move. I figured Buzz would get more use out of it than I would.

Guess I'll have to pick up a new one when we get moved into the new house next month.

Thanks for the suggestion.

John
    The fish are always right.

Hi,

The peacock feathers are hard to find. I picked up the neck I saw right away as they aren't common to find. However, petting zoos, and such, often have peacocks. You can find a few feathers blowing in the wind, and they aren't protected. Chat with the keepers and they may even be able to provide you with some. Or, talk with a farmer who raises them. It's a shame they aren't easier to come by as they are almost metallic looking. They make great shell cases on nymphs and beetle patterns. The pheasant rump feathers are a good idea for a substitute.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

+ Reply to Thread