+ Reply to Thread

Thread: THE GOAT'S TOE - Fly of the Week - October 12, 2009

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default THE GOAT'S TOE - Fly of the Week - October 12, 2009

THE GOAT'S TOE

Jeff Hamm brings us the fly of the week this time around..
    The Goat's Toe is a popular Scottish Loch fly, which is used for browns, sea trout, and salmon.

Jeff,

Nice dressing there, Lad. Very well done, including tips on "locking in" the rib and hackle. Nice photos to boot.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Hi REE,

Thanks. I picked those up from Davie McPhail. When I started writing it up I had intended to mention that but I left it out of the write up. Also found out that, although this is very popular in the Scottish Lochs, it apparently originated in Ireland. It's just more popular, or more associated, with the Scottish Loch fishing.

- Jeff

Jeff,

Nice pattern and looks very much like a pattern that I will have to do some experimenting with. I am thinking different colors, etc., to make it one of my experiments on the trout here. There was just something about the pattern that peaked my interest. It reminds me of a steelhead pattern I picked up from here and downsized everything and it has become one of my "go to" patterns for trout. It even worked on the trout on the White River trip I took last week. Your pattern will be "played" with for sure!

Thanks for sharing...
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Hi WarrenP,

I'm sure it will do well for trout for you tied in a size to suit. It's used for brown trout in Scotland, and I would be surprised if rainbows and brookies didn't jump all over it. I have a feeling that sea run cut throats would find it appealing, along with their resident kin. I've seen a variation where a black hen hackle is tied in along with the peacock neck feather. And, in Davie McPhail's YouTube video of his demonstration of this pattern he also shows some variations. One I recall is to use yellow for the tail and rib. I could see a touch of crystal flash being tied in as well. I've been half heartedly looking for some history on it, but haven't found much. Then again, all I've really tried is a few quick internet searches. Nothing jumped out at me, and things have been busy lately so free time has been put to fishing rather than reading about fishing! I did try swinging this for salmon on the East River, but no takers.

- Jeff

Jeff,

I did a bit of light reading last nite about the Goat's Toe. From what I read, the original dressing had a red wool body with a peacock herl rib. I can't see that being very durable, but was a popular technique at the time. Sometime later it was changed to the dressing you provided which seems to be a heartier fly that won't fall apart after one fish.

There is also a variant being dressed with a green peacock neck feather (easier to find in these parts) that is also a very effective fly.

You have stirred my interest in this fly. Need more books in the libraray.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Thanks for that REE. I agree that a rib of herl would probably not survive more than a few fish at most. Oh, and the version I've seen with the black hackle addition is by Alice Conbra (an exceptional tyer from Ireland. She has a page on Han's site with some beautiful examples of her work). Would really like to hear of any history you track down on this one. I'm hoping Donald sees this as he may have some information on this pattern. Speaking of which, where is Donald N. these days?

- Jeff

Default Goats toe

Hi Jeff
    I tried to tie the goats toe but found no peacock hackle I have tied a kiwi version that seems to work I have substituted pukeko feathers and got a nice dark blue/black version hope to try it out when the weather improves.

+ Reply to Thread