+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CONVERSATIONS - Ladyfisher - October 12, 2009

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default CONVERSATIONS - Ladyfisher - October 12, 2009

CONVERSATIONS

What's one way to get a good dialog going with another angler? Take a long car ride in a traffic jam. Fortunately for us Dee and Tom Travis talk about equipment needs and wants, and what the manufacturers will need to do to keep selling those high ticket items we just have to buy.
    Last edited by rtidd; 10-16-2009 at 09:02 PM.

Default Beginner's Fly Fishing Outfits

Eight years ago,my daughter expressed interest in learning how to cast a fly rod. So I ordered a 5 weight, two-piece Redington Crosswater fly rod for her, and acquired a good used reel for the fly rod at the Idaho Fish-In. Not top of the line, but they both work as good as most anglers get, and she has caught fish!

My five year old grandson, has been fly fishing with a 3 weight fly rod, for a year now. I have had him doing it "Tenkara Style". When he gets older I will add a reel and line to the fly rod, and let him practice casting to Lawn Trout.

For the moment, he is quite happy, casting with only a tapered leader to sunfish and crappies, using wet flies from the end of the dock!

A true tenkara fly rod is comprised of only a 9 or 10 foot fly rod, and a tapered leader, of equal length to the fly rod. The angler fishes the fly in the water surface. It is very effective at catching fish.

Japanese Tenkara Site

Lately Tenkara is becoming the rage in the USA, and there are many sites on the internet about the subject.

For someone starting into fly fishing, or some who is into fly fishing that wants simplify their fishing, Tenkara is a solution that reduces the cost, and still gets the angler on the water fly fishing. ~Parnelli

Post Script: I went out and purchased a St. Croix 4-piece 4 weight and built a true Tenkara Fly Rod, that does not have a "Reel Seat", it is great for fishing on small streams, ponds and small lakes. Great for sitting on the end of the dock, and playing with the Perch, Sunfish, and Crappie. And a good excuse for hanging out with my Grandson Tanner!

Not that I am in the market, nor have I ever bought a rod or reel from either Cabelas or Bass Pro. But after reading the article I went out on their websites and could not find a combo for $29.95. The cheapest I found was a Cabela's Three Forks combo for $49.95.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

+ Reply to Thread