+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SECRET POTIONS - Readers Cast (Tom Deschaine) - October 12, 2009

Blog Entries

Default SECRET POTIONS - Readers Cast (Tom Deschaine) - October 12, 2009

SECRET POTIONS

Tom Deschaine has come up with a couple inexpensive solutions that every fly angler should be aware of.
    Last edited by rtidd; 10-12-2009 at 03:58 AM.

I've been using Albolene (two lifetime supply, about $11) for my dries for a couple of years. Works for me. Besides it'll take off my make up and give me a glowing skin (don't tell my wife.) That Armor All thing though I can't get behind. It is water soluble so it will not leave a residue. However, that very trait is what causes it not to last very long as probably most of us use our flylines in water. I've had good experience just washing my lines in warm water with a few drops of detergent (Dawn..et al.) and drying them with a clean towel, sheet, old socks, wife's blouse (again, don't tell her )
    YMMV! Thanks for your articles and the headsup re the silicone grout stuff. Our Ace didn't have the stuff so I'll check the Tru-Value. Take care.
    mcsteff

I've heard that 303 is good for lines as well.
    David

Everyone must believe in something, I believe I'll go canoeing. -HDT

Flyfishing is a drug. It's addictive, it can be expensive, not many others will understand it, it is possible to get others hooked, and everyone has a favorite place to get their fix, but there's no hangover in the morning (from the fishing at least).

4. Default

Fumed Silica Thickener
    http://www.epoxyproducts.com/2_fillers.html

Great Frogs Fanny replacement, you can get a quart for the price of a small bottle!
    But you have to buy one bottle first to get the applicator brush from frogs fanny...then buy the silica.

Some good suggestions, thanks.

Some of the fellows in NZ use "Fuller's Earth" from the chemist (pharmacy) mixed with dish detergent as a leader degreaser.

- Jeff

Smile

Great article. But don't forget RAIN-X auto windshield cleaner that treats the glass to resist wetting and make the rain drops bead up and WD-40 spray that is used to waterproof electrical wiring, I've used the RAIN-X solution as a fly dip at the tying bench and the little vest pocket size spray cans of WD-40 on the stream.

I would hesitate to use WD-40 on any fly as it would appear to be a fish attractant (might as well tie a fly using Power Bait). A site listing 40+ uses for WD-40 (You Google it.) list as number 39:
    39) WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a LITTLE on live bait or lures and you will be catching the big one in no time. Also, it's a lot cheaper than the chemical attractants that are made for just that purpose. Keep in mind though, using some chemical laced baits or lures for fishing are not allowed in some states.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mcsteff View Post
    I would hesitate to use WD-40 on any fly as it would appear to be a fish attractant (might as well tie a fly using Power Bait). A site listing 40+ uses for WD-40 (You Google it.) list as number 39:
    39) WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a LITTLE on live bait or lures and you will be catching the big one in no time. Also, it's a lot cheaper than the chemical attractants that are made for just that purpose. Keep in mind though, using some chemical laced baits or lures for fishing are not allowed in some states.
    The primary ingredient in WD40 is fish oil.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Quote Originally Posted by kbproctor View Post
    The primary ingredient in WD40 is fish oil.
    Fish oil is too expensive. Show me on the MSDS where the fish oil is?

http://www.wd40company.com/files/pdf...d494716385.pdf

+ Reply to Thread