+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Weather patterns and Gills

Hybrid View

Default Weather patterns and Gills

I was just wondering if weather patterns affect gills as much as it does LM if it does what do I need to be looking at. Also if the moon phase help and hurt. I have never really checked any of this i just go out and fish it.

Thanks In Advance
    TDW
    If at first you don't succeed ... Then sky diving may not be the sport for you

I think the weather patterns affect how aggressively the little guys feed. But I don't know that anything puts them completely off their feed. It seems like when everything else is down and not feeding at all, I can find at least a few gills if I work hard enough at it. But the barometer can definitely make it harder to get them to bite than it normally would be.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

It has been my experience high pressure after a cold front turns off bream just like it does bass, they are member of the same "Sun fish" family. Bream bed on the full moon during warm weather months in most of the places I have lived and fished, mostly Georgia and Mississippi. While fishing is supposed to be great when the moon is full I much prefer a dark moon because the fish don't feed all night then and are more agressive during the day.

But it has been my experience that what has always worked doesn't always work when it come to fish.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

My main focus is stillwater fishing for panfish, and I can tell you that here in New Hampshire we had about 12.5" of rain fall in a three-week period during July that turned everything off. Honestly, I couldn't buy a strike until the middle of August, no matter what I did, and the situation didn't much improve from there.

Default cold weather and bluegills

Small ponds no big deal go deeper or if a midge hatch go tiny like a 18-22 Griffins gnat.In larger water ,like a city reservoir,I have done well in low wind bright sunlight and north end
    of sloughs.Here again I concentrate on midge hatches ---tiny nymphs(18-22)on a strike indicator for suspending fly,and tiny dry flies(18-22)in black especially but also grizzly as in Griffins gnat and bivisibles in black,brown,grizzly.This what has worked for me down here in central Alabama.

+ Reply to Thread