+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cortland Reel info

Hybrid View

Default Cortland Reel info

Hi,
    I have a Cortland reel, mid 70's, and I'm looking for some info. Usually I have all the spec sheets, even for reels I don't have anymore! I'm wondering whether this is revesible retrieve, line capacity etc. The reel is a metallic red, has a click mechanism and has a Cortland Crown DT7F Double line on it. Any info would be great, thanks.
    Mike

Default Info

Hello Mike, it would help a lot if you could find some markings on the reeel...perhaps a model #, where made, anything that might help find specs on the real. Even measurements would be good. One clue for the reel being reversible though, would be if the line guide would be movable or if it looks like there is the same line guide on the other side but perhaps built in. Hope this helps some.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Default Cortland reel

Thanks Montana. The reel has a set of screws on both sides. There is a line guide on one side and it could easily be placed on the other. The reel has the logo with the crown on top of a large C with cortland underneath. The only other mark is "Made in U.S.A" opposite the crown and C. Nothing on the reel foot.
    Mike

Default Ah ha...

Vintage USA made Cortland fly reel. Now we're getting somewhere. Ok, I found one thing...if it has a click pawl drag and it sounds and feels about the same in either direction you movethe crank, it is probably reversible simply by moving the line guide to the other side.

Of course you would have to pull the line off and wind it on the opposite way but other than that, you might not have to do anything else.

How 'bout a few pictures ? Both sides, a head on of the line guide and empty reel, then the frame inside without the spool etc.

Research didn't reveal much but pics might help with that too.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

sounds like a Pro-Crest. Depending on the year Bronson made the reel and then Martin. Photos would clear it up. Nice to have old reels that we fish and enjoy

Default Cortland reel Pics

Thanks all. As soon as I figure how to take some pics I'll post them. May take a day or two or four!
    Mike

Default More Cortland info

Hi all,
    Cortland emailed me with the info that they don't have any paper info, but the gentleman said it sounds like a ProCrest reel. Ah, the saga continues.... now to do the pics!
    Mike

the Crown was also red but it had a silver rim. ALso on the back of the Crown was a C with a fish inside it.

+ Reply to Thread