Quote Originally Posted by Gemrod View Post
Ok Phil and Mojo. I am understanding what you say. I was thinking 9' leader, then indicator, then tippet, then lead fly, then tippet then dropper. So....I can make a 6.5' furled leader on my board. That and 6' of tippet is apparently enough. All I know is I got skunked the other day...and was indeed using a shorter leader.

Now....why do they sell 15' leaders over at the store? I know 6' of that leader...well I guess it is a tapered leader with the tippet already on it. But I don't think 6' of that tapered leader is all tippet and you STILL have 9' left! If it were a 6' leader then it has 9' of tippet.

Also.....if a 6' leader is adequate.....why did FG state onetime that she sometimes uses a 50' leader. Hope my memory is not wrong on that one.

I would just like to catch more fish.
Furled leaders act way different than mono leader. I suppose some waters will dictate a 15' leader (why? maybe someone said to take it because shorter leaders will spook the fish) I really don't know. A 6' leader with a 5' or 6' tippet will give you a great presentation unlike a long tapered mono leader.
Now about the long leaders Flygoddess is referring to. 35' is the longest she's ever used, and it's strictly for indicator deep nymphing in a lake. No casting is involved. It's a drop and run thing.
I would suggest you experiment with your furled leaders and try different tippet lengths (and sizes). Uni or mono, I think you'll come up with a combination you'll really like eventually and pretty much stick with.