+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Furled Leaders

Blog Entries

Default Furled Leaders

I have seen a lot of discussion about the making of furled leaders and understand that they are supposed to aid your presentation and the general premise behind them.

My question is, will they be of benefit to a novice caster? Heaven knows I need all the help I can get when it comes to my casting.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Furled leaders will make casting easier, even for a novice. A furled leader will turn the fly over much better and is easier to control. Most novices are too quick with their casting, take your time, don't force anything and by all means wait until you feel your back cast loading the rod before going forward.

Blog Entries

I have slowed down enough to not be popping the flies off on the backstroke, but could probably stand to slow down some more. I know I still try to use a lot of the same motions involved with spin casting. Lots of old habits to try to break here.

Heck, popping them off is why I got excited about tying flies! Not because it is cheaper, but because it is less embarrassing to go buy the materials than it is to admit you are buying more flies because your casting sucks.

I need to try it then. Anything that might help is probably a very good thing.
    Last edited by kbproctor; 10-09-2009 at 09:23 PM.
    Kevin

kbproctor stick with the cast ing it will get better with time. I started fly fishing in 2002 and still remember popping fly's off. Time, patience, and practice will pay off. As far as furled leaders go I only fish stillwater but use them anyway and yes they help with the casting but are not the answer to the bad cast.

Blog Entries

The majority of my fishing has been stillwater as well. Getting the timing right on the backcast seems to be my problem. I either rush it and pop the fly off or take a bit too much time and catch trees, brush, flowers, chipmunks, etc. Of course, I lose the fly about half the time then, too.

I know it will take time. Once in a while, everything comes together and I make a real pretty cast, then get frustrated spending the next half hour trying to figure out what I did right.
    Kevin

Kevin,
    The best advise given to me was from James Castwell "HIMSELF"!!! Turn your head around and watch the line till it is straight out behind you ... then, make your forward cast. Crazy how that works! Every once in a while I still get ahead of my self in the cast, when Jim thumps me on the head, and rolls his eyes at me! Both back and forward should be at the same speed, and you should NOT be able to hear the rod rip the air. Try it ... you'll like it!!
    Betty
    Oh, oh, oh!! I love that turvy likes furled leaders!! How fun is that?!?
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I'm in agreement with the previous comments regarding furled leaders helping out with your casting. I've had countless customers write to tell me how they have really seen a difference in their casting using a furled leader. Once a furled leader gets started, it's pretty much going to turn itself over.

As everyone else also said, there is no need to be in a hurry as you cast, you have alot more time than you think. It might help to do a little chant, something along the lines of one - and - two - and.

Have fun,
    Last edited by pszy22; 10-10-2009 at 02:54 PM.
    "People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" -
    John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

http://www.tenkaraflyfish.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
    It might help to do a little chant, something along the lines of one - and - two - and.

Have fun,
    How did Lawrence Welk get into this? Now his theme song is stuck in my head.

Now I have to build a furling jig. "Hi! My name is Kevin and I'm a Fly Fisherman."
    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread