+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Table Question

Hybrid View

1. Default Table Question

I got into fly fishing a little over a year ago, and yes I am hooked. I think I am ready to take the next step into tying my own flies. My question is about a table, most specifically the height. What is the standard height of a fly tying table, and if there is no standard, what do you use?

The reason I ask is I find my neck hurting when I tie leaders at my dining room table, and I can't imagine what I would feel like if I spent a couple hours tying flies!

Thanks for your input.

Normand Guest

i dont think there is a standard height for specifically fly tying tables

my table is 29 1/2 inches high

on top of that is a tying bench and a c clamp mounted vise.

i think you have to find what suits you the best and puts your head in the position that doesnt make your neck sore

dont forget to get an adjustable chair. this can help alot

I use a computer deck and yes a good chair but a very good light or you will get more than a sore neck

For a good fit your chair and table should adjust to you, so you don't have to adjust to them. Google ergonomic there is some info on the internet that might help you. Make the workplace fit the worker, not the other way around.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Bass_Bug Guest

The Average table/desk is 30". Get an adjustable height office style chair thats padded, and you should be good with any desk or table. Lack of good lighting with make a short tying session seem long.

Steve,

It's probably the chair that's uncomfortable...if it doesn't fit you, you won't like tying for any length of time.

Most standard desks/tables are right around 30 inches from the floor...but there are differences and you pretty much have to use what you got when starting out (unless you got lots of money to spend...then just go buy what you like).

You can get a decent adjustable office style chair brand new for around $30. The CHAIR will allow you tie comfortably at the height of your table, since it's adjustable. I buy used ones at the thrift stores or industrial surplus places...around $5.

My bench is made from an industrial workbench....it's about 10 inches taller and so requires a high work chair (got two of them when I bought the tables). Still have to adjust it, though, as not everyone is comfortable at the same height.

In any event, folks tie on TV trays, computer desks, kitchen tables, bar height counters, student desks, and picnic tables....just to name a few.

You will have lots of fun, regardless of which you choose.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

This has been bugging me for a while to. I think the most important thing is the height of the table in relation to the height of the chair. The other's are right about finding thing's that are adjustable. Finding that sweet spot where your not leaning over to much and not looking up to much is pretty tough.

My desk is 30" high and it's about 2" too high for me. I've had 4 fused discs in my neck, and I much prefer to be looking down on the vise.

I bought one of those white plastic office tables that stands 28" tall and it's just about right. However, I should have bought the wood office table because the plastic table is too thick for my vise c-clamps. I also recommend an swivel office chair with adjustable arms. You can cause some serious pain in your neck and shoulders by trying to hold your arms up to your work with the muscles in you shoulders and neck.
    I think I'll go tie some flies.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Lotech, my tying table is similar to yours... only diference is mine aint a rolltop... mine has the fold up front that lets down flat... gives me a bit more room...
    A.S.F 5th GP ...TO FIGHT SO OTHERS MAY REMAIN FREE...

Thru the years I have tied at many shows. I also know tiers that sit at a vise for hours production tying,one at a show tied 24 hours without stopping. I have found that the height of the vice jaw is the most important item. If your elbows are not at your waist (side)you are always using shoulder and arm muscles. Hands tie flys. To get hands at chest height you can use a Vice Stand Adapter a L shape arm for a c clamp or pedestal that allows the tier to move the vise away from the table and up or down 5 inches. Example --just above the table top chest high. BILL

+ Reply to Thread