+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trout and Barametric Pressure

Hybrid View

Default Trout and Barametric Pressure

I misspent a part of my life as a bait caster for Bass, I am ashamed but I know some of y'all did the same thing. Thursday, I got the chance to run over to the Rio Penasco near Mayhill NM to fish. A weak cold front with a moderated North wind was blowing. That would pretty much spell death to a bass guy. Old saying: Wind from the North, Fisherman do not go forth.

Not knowing about trout and going to go anyway since I had the chance I went. I don't think I have ever been skunked before on the Penasco, may be one fish, but not skunked. Well, now I have been. 4 Weeks ago I slayed 'em on Parachute Hoppers. I had one fish look at the hopper. No luck w/ Chernobyl Ant, Madame X crapped out, Bitch Creek Nymph w/ red Chrionmide dropper, nada.

Do trout respond to atmospheric changes like bass do? (Finally, I got to the question!)

Not just trout, all critters with fins, feathers or fur. At least that's my experience and opinion.

Vic

They do. However, moving water seems to reduce the amount of difference it makes. I've noticed this in spillways (tailwaters) and streams on multiple species of fish. In lakes and other stillwater situations, the trout seem to be just as susceptible to pressure changes as any other fish. I've seen some research to support this, but mainly it's based on my personal observations, so I wouldn't call it an absolute truth as much as a tendancy.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

I believe not AS much in moving water, but yes. I cannot remember the exact ammount of pressure, but it seems I read that a certain ammount of barametric pressure change equals a 2 foot depth change. If you are looking at a typical "trouty" stream...Well, you can see the issue.
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

My experience is after a cold front, the fishing is slim and none, and slim just left town. I have read it is because the high skies keep the fish deeper due to brightness, therefore harder to catch. There still somewhat active, just harder to locate and fish effectively. Don't know if that is the reason, but I pretty much stay home after a cold front moves through. I don't know the reason, but it sure slows down for me, fresh or salt, lake or stream. Maybe it is just confidence, but just can't get much to move on a rising barometer after a front.

Fish do, deer do, pheasants do & I do too. I hate lousy weather. Must be my age.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Thanks for asking the question, I went Saturday on a beautiful blue bird day after a cold front and had one trout from the Hooch. Went again Sunday afternoon, overcast with a little rain, did a little better. A real trout fisherman may have limited out Sunday but I am still stumbling in the dark when it comes to trout.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

All I know is the 2 best times to go fishin' is when it's rainin' and when it ain't.

9. Default the pressure

I only fish when I'm alone or with someone.

+ Reply to Thread