Thread: Daydream/Fantasy (driftboat related)

Threaded View

Default Daydream/Fantasy (driftboat related)

I keep having this totally bizarre daydream / fantasy.
    A large clear river of the Hudson river valley early American artist school type . We have all seen the paintings at one time or another.
    The river isn't the Hudson ( too dirty and spoiled as I understand it ) or anywhere in the East.
    My river is more than likely the Missouri at the head waters .
    My daydream/fantasy has a Mackenzie river drift boat on the water and yours truly is in the boat
    ( I can see me clearly so yes , it is me ) with a mild late spring , early summers day. of course the weather is perfect.
    A few puffy white clouds punctuate an other wise light blue sky with a light breeze blowing across the water .
    Temperature is upper 70s, the fish are hungrily competing to rise to my self tied dry flies .
    Limits of keepers for my sand bar suppers are attained with just the right amount of difficulty to make the meal appreciated.
    The sandbar chosen for my overnight has just enough driftwood for a nights campfire and to cook my evenings coffee.
    Coffee to go with the nightly adult libation of choice (something not too cheap and rough , in this fantasy my palate is too polished and refined for the rough things in life).
    Morning has just chill enough to inspire a hearty and manly breakfast , yesterdays adventure continues today.
    Now here comes the twist.
    I have never been in any kind of drift boat.
    I've seen them , watched them on the water and liked what I have seen.
    Never been on an overnight river trip .
    Nope , not a one.
    Saw the Hudson once. Looked cool , not for me though.
    Seen a bunch of gorgeous rivers when I lived in Alaska , too many to name. Cant afford to go back.
    Been to the Rouge in Oregon , can we all say "DANG" , that was the first time I was scared standing in a river .
    Been to the upper Missouri and saw it . Looked really cool . Might be the river for me .
    Here comes a question .Where can I get information about drift boating. I can pretty much find out where to get one .
    I am looking to get reading info about the boats , their handling characteristics ,capacities , sizes and just about any thing that is of a technical manner about them.
    Retirement is in the hopefully near future and I cant sit around for much time with out going nuts.
    This type of boat seems to be a good all round boat to have .
    I could be wrong, this would not be a first (being wrong) for me .
    Thoughts ,opinions and reading references are all paid attention to and usually all read . Thankyou in advance for you responces.
    Last edited by perch; 10-08-2009 at 03:15 AM. Reason: messed up a line, sorry