+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help with Missouri fly fishing getaway

Default Need help with Missouri fly fishing getaway

Hey everyone, I need a little help. My wife has agreed to renting a place for thanksgiving week, somewhere I can do some fly fishing. We have three small boys(2,5,6 years) and don't want to spend too much time in the car. I live north of Jackson, MS and usually fish in the Mountain Home area. My wife wants to be closer to Kansas city because of an amazing church she wants to visit(IHOP). We dont want to be in Kansas City but 2-3 hours away would work. Anyone have any suggestions?

There is a place called Benett Springs. It is relatively close to KC.
    At that time of year I figure it shouldnt be horribly crowded.
    I dont know for sure , I have a high degree of snobbishness to the area and avoid it BUT the folkes that like it think its the cats meow.
    Check "Ozark Anglers.com" and that may give you a better idea.
    There are a bunch of folkes here that are much more knowledgable about this than me.
    Best wishes

p.s thats for trout (bennet sps.)! As for fly fishing, too many places to count.A laundry list should be following this reply . There are a LOT of good spots within two hours.
    p.
    Last edited by perch; 10-08-2009 at 01:28 AM. Reason: didnt give an accuate accounting ,sorry

Thanks for the site. Love the idea of a vacation with the family where I can hit the river in the morning, and focus on the family the rest of the day. What a wife!

Roaring River is a lot closer to KC than Bennett. I'm sure some of the locals will chime in presently!
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

For trout that close to KC it's going to be Roaring River or Bennet Springs at Lebanon, both of which are parks and farther than 2-3 hours....I think. Pretty places but hatchery trout. Bennet does have a good reputation among the park fishermen. It does have a fly fishing only area and at Thanksgiving will be catch and release only. Fees are reasonable, I believe $10.00 for fishing for the day I don't know if the lodging at the park will be open then. If it is they have pretty decent facilities available. 30 years ago when my kids were little we could afford to stay for a weekend so hopefully it's still affordable. I haven't fished it for many years and for me I'll have to agree with perch.

Unless I'm mistaken MDC, (Missouri Dept. of Conservation) stocks trout in some lakes in the KC area. That's a possiblity and hopefully someone from that area will chime in.

Warm water fishing around Thanksgiving will probably be kinda slow and can be flat out cold. Our weather is so goofy you never know what the it's going to be. A beautiful Indian Summer day around then could provide for some good fishing.

Not trying to change your plans at all but FYI: If it's possible for you a couple days spent in the Rolla area can put you on some beautiful water with sometimes really good fishing.....sometimes not too. There are 4 wild trout creeks, two trophy trout areas and two parks within an hour of Rolla. That's why we moved here when we moved back from Wyoming.

Vic

Default Rolla fishing

Beautiful area , very friendly people . But the ticks were Terrible !! Keith

Keith, they often are....hateful little insects!

Vic

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP63 View Post
    Roaring River is a lot closer to KC than Bennett. I'm sure some of the locals will chime in presently!
    Dave Roaring River is quite a bit further south than Benett Spring. Look up the city of Lebanon BILL

I've found the motel situation in Lebanon to be dismal. We stay at Larry's Cedar resort near (real near) the park. Rooms are spacious, clean and the folks are friendly. The closest IHop is in Springfield, Mo.

Quote Originally Posted by William Fitzgerald View Post
    Dave Roaring River is quite a bit further south than Benett Spring. Look up the city of Lebanon BILL
    My mistake, I misread the original post...Bennett is a good spot, also!
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

+ Reply to Thread