+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My goal this year .........

Default My goal this year .........

I've had a really tough Winter. Seperated from the wife after 14 years of marriage and not sure where to look down the road regarding starting a new life and career. I have been an Orvis store manager, casting instructor and endorsed guide. I custom build and frame some beautiful shadowbox fly displays. I have been involved with flyfishing for alot of years and now I'll come down to my point. My GOAL this year is to get back to my roots. When I was young and we fished Penn's Creek, 9 out of 10 guys fished a string of wet flies, and they caught a heck-of-alot of fish. So now I'm tying traditional wet fly patterns and am going to try a 11ft. 6wt. Spey rod this year. Down and out, but not ready to give in. I'm really excited about this year and a new/old angle. Have I gone crazy?

Brumat,

Far from crazy.

Case #1: here's a good friend of mine, ... after a vicious divorce, he took off some time and regained his sanity (and health) fly fishing away a year. He learned by himself (for the first 3 months) and hooked up with me to finish.

martial M with his very first sea run brook

Case #2: Me ... after 14 years, divorce. Found a new life. Took time off for ME. Fly fishing is one of the only places where you can find solitude where another would find loneliness.

Then ... How to break the ice with the 12 year old son of your new girlfriend, ... well, take them fishing.
    never looked back.

PS This year's plan : get my girl friend to connect with an Atlantic Salmon.

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/:5975e]http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/[/url:5975e]

[This message has been edited by fcch (edited 01 March 2005).]
    Christopher Chin

nighthawk Guest

brumat007,
    You are on the right track! You are not crazy. fishing Penns Creek will do you a lot of good. Take some time off and just enjoy life for a while. Keep your spirits up and lines tight. You could even go for a walk in this crazy snow storm we are getting today. I think I may do just that myself.

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

Thank you Chris and Eric. I guess I'm just down on myself a bit today and not having any friends around I looked to this board for some encourgment and got it. Thank You!

Brumat,
    You are not alone. You have 6,180 friends. All registered members of FAOL. Flyfishing sure makes a lot more sense than beating yourself up mentally. Hang in there. Things are going to get a lot better.

------------------
    A free gift waits for those who ask.
    --------------------
    Lotech Joe

I highly suggest you read this week's Reader's Cast - You're Fired! He still has a wonderful supportive wife, but trust me, there is life after divorce. JC and I are good examples of that - 31 years in fact. [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/readerscast/:3c53b]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/readerscast/[/url:3c53b]

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

brumat007,
    Twelve years ago, I went through the smae thing, so I know how you feel. Fortunately for me, my company transferred my to Vancouver Island, so immersed myself in work and some awesome fishing. A couple years later, I met a special lady and my life has never been the same. She loves to fish, camp and hike. I enjoy a life and personal happiness now that I never imagined would be. Keep your chin up and you'll get through this.

I am attaching a picture of my lovely wife that I took a week ago on the Big Horn.

Onward and Upward!!!!!

------------------
    "My fondest memories and friends will be forever bound to my heart, with the waters I have fished." D.G. 1992

www.wolfmountainfly.com

Well, never been divorced, been terrified of changing careers (retired from the Air Force) but I do know that classic wets on Penns will cure what ails you. I stay at Hemlock Acres, hang out with Jonas at the Feathered Hook (no association to either except that they both have my credit card number memorized) and hammer those beautiful browns on Penns with wets. I've caught fish in there that had the color of a new copper penny. Never seen it anywhere else. It renews my soul.
    Frank Reid

Good Luck Bru! Whenever I was stressed out with law school, I'd head home for the weekend and fish or hunt. There's something about being out with nature, alone or with friends that soothes your mind and causes the gears to slow their turning just a bit no matter if it is routine stress, or life altering occurances.

I know it's trite, but today is the first day of the rest of your life. Enjoy the fresh start! We can sit and complain, and wonder, and blame for changes in our lives, or we can learn from them, put them behind us and move on. Choosing the latter, in my mind, is the only option. So do what you gotta do, and remember we're all here for each other!

PS: Capt. Marty - AWESOME STORY!!!

Brumat,
    Having been through the trauma of divorce, reconciliation, re-marriage, separation, and reconciliation yet again, I can truly understand the agony of separation and divorce, as can others. After the divorce, I attended a biblically-based course called "DivorceCare" that was of great help to me. If you are interested, check out the following site: [url=http://www.divorcecare.com/html/index.html:f28bd]http://www.divorcecare.com/html/index.html[/url:f28bd]

Best of luck to you!

Gary

+ Reply to Thread