+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First ever ties

Default First ever ties

Hey guys, I gathered a few of the materials I was given and tied a few flies cause I got too anxious. At first I thought the color schemes would be a little odd but just wanted to tie. I wa surprised with myself, and I think the colors actually work well together. Anyway, here they are thanks for checking them out. And p.s, I think I was addicted even before I tied, but after that first one it's just like everyone explained (warned me) about it.

thanks again to FAOL and everyone on it for the information!
    "Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day!"

Wink

Wilkes ( that is the dyslexic version of Sekliw ) -

They'll fish, especially the one with the longer hackle.

Now you are obligated to post a picture of a fish caught with the first fly you tied. Otherwise, Ron Tidd may yank your membership to the BB.

John
    The fish are always right.

DO NOT FISH THOSE! Which ever was your first fly put it in a plastic box with the date you tied it and save it to look back upon. Tie some more just like it to fish with. I still have my first fly and when I rummage around in the box looking for some material and run across it, it always makes me smile.

Default Haha

Thanks John, they are two different sized hooks. And funny that you say that dyslexic thing, because my last name is Wilkes so you cracked the code to my username! Hahaha and I have to say "uh oh" about the membership yank cause I have no fly fishing gear yet only alllll my spin gear, but my birthday is Wednesday and I plan on outfitting my self with the basics to begin so hopefully Ron will give me a little time : ) oh yeah, any birthday donations are welcome, my mailing address is.... Haha just kidding!
    "Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day!"

Blog Entries

I agree with Clay. I have my first flies. A Woolly Bugger, San Juan Worm, and a beadhead partridge and herl. The last one is the one that really hooked me on tying flies, but I kept all three. Keep those. Mine make me smile, too.

Since then, I have fed dozens of flies to trees, bushes, the opposite bank, etc. When I finally caught fish instead of everything else around me on flies I tied, I kept those, too.

Wink

Wilkes -

I cracked the code the first time you posted. I have what I refer to as a "dyslexic mind". I can't hardly look at anything without turning it around to see what it looks like from the opposite point of view.

Don't worry about your membership being yanked. If Ron Tidd can post on this BB, ANYONE can !!

John

P.S. Regardless which way the fish look at your flies, just remember that ...
    The fish are always right.

i will definitely take the advice to save these with the date. i cant wait to get some new materials and tye some other patterns! thanks for the feedback everyone

Blog Entries

I am pretty sure that if you think about it, you will see how to fish those with the gear you got. Think spinner or baitfish lure. Can I say that here?
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

kevin,
    now i wont lie and say that i havent thought about it, but i cant say that here...

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Thumbs up Thumbs up on your first flies!

Hi Wilkes/Sekliw,

Those are some very nice flies for your very first try. Keep up the good work and try to tie a couples of flies every day. Your fly box will be full in no time and your confidence will grow by leaps and bounds. Nice job! 8T

+ Reply to Thread