When I had first started tying flies a little over a year ago, I got tired of woolly buggers and San Juan Worms real quick. I wanted to tie something else. I did a few Partridge and Herl and moved to Prince Nymphs. While searching for fly patterns, I came across Eric's site. I was taken by the beauty of the flies and wanted to tie them.

I set to it. However, I was having problems finding materials. Sportsman's Warehouse had some stuff but not what I needed and I didn't want to order online and didn't know what to order anyway. I dropped Eric an email and he directed me to Charlie Craven's shop.

To shorten a long story, I sent Eric pictures of my attempts at the old flies and he gave me solid critique on them. Before Eric ever held one of my flies, I showed a few to Charlie and he suggested a couple of simple things that have made a huge difference for me. Some of the others at Charlie's shop have been a huge help in knowing what materials to use for what. In short, these guys have taught me more in a year than I would have stumbled across in ten if I had not run into them. I can't even begin to belive my good fortune in running into not just one of this caliber tier, but two?

The White Miller is one of the first I tried. My first White Miller had plenty wrong with it. The hackle is way too long, the angle on the tail is all wrong, and the rib is wrapped the wrong direction. The head and wings are not too bad, though. Here it is anyway. Tied back in June.

From that weak start, things have improved a bit. Here is another pattern Eric encouraged me on. The Captain. This was tied in early August.

My flies are still a long way from perfect, but I am pleased with the progress I have made with my tying. They wouldn't be where they are without the White Miller.