+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WHAT'S THE PROBLEM? - Neil - October 5, 2009

Blog Entries

Default WHAT'S THE PROBLEM? - Neil - October 5, 2009

WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?

"You don't have to be a genius to be a fly fisher, but you do have to think. Observation and application will trump equipment and even technical ability. " - Neil Travis
    Last edited by rtidd; 10-05-2009 at 05:01 AM.

Excellent, excellent, excellent. In the Army, when we crossed outside the wire on patrol we used to "lay dog". Simply, stop, look and listen. Acquaint ourselves with the sounds, smells and sights around us, making it easier to pick out the stuff that wasn't quite right.

I use the same thing when approaching fishing water. As I aproach the water I'm always looking for the web of a friendly spider. Insects trapped in the web will let you know whats been hatching and about how long ago. Then, I just sit down. When I still smoked, I'd sit there long enough to have a couple of cigarettes and just watch the water. Are they rising and if so how and where. If they aren't rising, where would I be if I were a trout trying to conserve energy, and maybe take a snack if it came past my nose.

Seems a reasonable approach to me.

REE

PS. Need to practice the accuracy casting.
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Hi,

Some nice pointers in there. I must confess though, if it's been a while since my last outing I often find myself casting far sooner, and with more desperation, than perhaps is good for me. Mind you, it does wonders to keep my ego in check!

- Jeff

Great article, wonderful information. As a complete beginner, this is great advice. As I started getting a kit together, I was wondering about having the right this and that. Then a read a book by Lefty Kreh, and learned about presentation. Over the past two months I've read articles here and there talking about the importance of observation and presentation over equipment. This article very clearly describes the need for this very simple principle. Thanks!
    David

Everyone must believe in something, I believe I'll go canoeing. -HDT

Flyfishing is a drug. It's addictive, it can be expensive, not many others will understand it, it is possible to get others hooked, and everyone has a favorite place to get their fix, but there's no hangover in the morning (from the fishing at least).

+ Reply to Thread