+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CAREFUL & SAFE WADING - Eye of the Guide - October 5, 2009

Blog Entries

Default CAREFUL & SAFE WADING - Eye of the Guide - October 5, 2009

CAREFUL & SAFE WADING

"Unless you have a burning desire to spend a great deal of time studying the trout in its UNDERWATER world, I suggest you practice careful and safe wading techniques." - Tom Travis

Smile

This is a point well taken. As we get older we should accept the fact that we loose our agility and can no longer accommodate dancing around those slime covered bowling balls.

I would also suggest a self inflating PFD.

Great advice for newbies and old timers alike.

If I may add one other point, attached to my wading belt is my trusty Folstaff wading staff. VEE and I never wade without one, even in calm waters. It comes in handy for checking the depth before taking that next step. In faster water it lets you keep two "feet" firmly on the bottom while taking that next step.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

My trusty wading staff is a ski pole with a bungee chord attaced to the handle and a caribiner to clip it to my net d-ring. 25 cents at a thrift store and very strong.
    Gary

Exclamation For Emphasis

The first component of wilderness safety and survival is "fitness," both physical and mental. Next in line are preparation and caution.

Tom makes the point indirectly, but it is one worth emphasizing, especially in the coming months when an accident can have catastrophic consequences.

Quoting Tom's excellent article "Learn which water is not for you. Don't be overconfident, and realize the limits of your own physical capabilities."

Let's all have a lot of fun through the fall and over the winter, and be safe.

John
    The fish are always right.

Smile Safe Wading

Let me THIRD that VOTE! When I first started fly fishing, I was so eager to get the hook to the fish, I spent as much time in the water as the fish! I certainly was NOT sure footed as I thought I was. For one thing, the boots are clumsier than are SCUBA booties that I was akin too, and I was 20 years older, which accounted for most of the misplaced footing.

I'm much more careful now-along with my wading staff-to slowly take in the water and look before stepping. If fishing an unfamiliar and swift river; I even wear an automatic inflating Personal Flotation Device. Who knows? I might fall and not be able to right myself in swift water! The PFD's are relatively inexpensive for the safety they afford.

+ Reply to Thread