+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hardy Marquis Questions

Default Hardy Marquis Questions

I received some old Hardy Marquis reels. I can sell them or keep them, the problem is I use LHW and they are RHW. Are they reversible. they are around 35 to 40 years old. The writing says "Made by Hardy Bros LTD England" they are a Salmon #1, #10 and #7. I would also like to know what wt lines I could use, especially if one would be suitable for an eight wt. Thanks in advance for any info.

Default Hardy Marquis Reels

Hi! I fished a Hardy Marquis 7 reel on Thursday:

As you can see the reels can be used as LHW. I have seven weight fly lines on this Marquis 7. The model numbers roughly correspond to the line weight. On most of my Marquis reels (4, 5, and 6) I have one line lighter than the model number to allow for ample backing. The Marquis 7 seems to be the exception since I have all seven weight lines on those reels.

Hardy lists the following capacities for backing with your reels with eight weight lines:

Marquis Salmon #1 = DT8 + 142 yards backing
    Marquis #10 = WF8 + 200 yards backing
    Marquis #7 = WF8 + 110 yards backing

You can see Hardy's recommendedations for the their Marquis reels on this post to the Fiberglass Flyrodders Forum:

http://fiberglassflyrodders.yuku.com/topic/1366?page=5

I think the Hardy Marquis reels are great reels for fishing. If it was me, I would keep them. If you do decide to sell them they do sell very well. I would watch some sales for awhile first to make sure you get what the reels are worth.

Hardy has recently produced some current models of the Marquis Salmon reels and they are now being sold.

Thanks for the great info. One problem, In the pic there is a control knob, I don't have one. I also had to take out the right contact and turn it over. Mine is a one screw model as for line guard. The drag doesn't feel as strong LHW as RHW. I wonder if it is my imagination or does this model not readily switch?

On my #8/9 Marquis, which looks very similar with an exposed palming spool & drag knob in the middle; all you do is flip the pawls to get the drag to work for the opposite hand. Remember to respool the backing & flyline.

Default Hardy Marquis

Hi Midstream,they should be reversible they should have two pawls only one is engaged depending on LHWorRHW to change to LHW you flip the right hand pawl so the open end of the pawl is at the bottom so as the direction of the retrieve is into the open end of the pawl.I owned a salmon#1 for years but had to sell do to hard times. Got back into salmon fishing last year,the hardy reels were the mainstay here in Cape Breton all my friends {miners} had a hardy reel and usually a fenwick HMG If you ever decide to let the #1 go give me a bump.

Draggerman

+ Reply to Thread