+ Reply to Thread

Thread: H & H Rotary vise

Hybrid View

Smile H & H Rotary vise

Will someone who has actually used a H&H E-Z Rotary vise send me your comments.
    Please don't hijack this post. Thanks very much.

I have the vise. It is a nice vise. I don't use the rotary to tie flies, just to turn fly around and look at it. For $50 it is a good vise to get started. The o-ring on the "head" breaks and needs to be replaced, in the three years I've had the vise I've put on about one a year. The last o-ring was a green a/c o-ring and it seems to be lasting without cracking. I tie 8 to 18 size hooks and never had a problem with one jumping out. I only tie 100 to 200 flies a year. Mostly bluegill foam flies. But also some smaller trout flies.
    As a side note I just bought a Renzetti Traveler vise. I was looking for a vise that had a base and not a clamp. I also think I will like the cam action.

i bought a H&H E-Z Rotary vise fer 45$ bout 2 months ago & its ok fer a cheapie... I can tie sizes 22 on up to 4 on it but caint get it to hold anything bigger... I still prefer the danvise over the H&H E-Z Rotary vise... Guess im just used to it & aint had the H&H long or tied enough on it to see... First thing ya arta do is put different o rings on it or replace the o rings all togather with nylon seal rings which looks just like the o rings but dont wear out as fast... I have a habit of overtightening or overdoin so i dont the nylon ring modification...
    A.S.F 5th GP ...TO FIGHT SO OTHERS MAY REMAIN FREE...

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Thumbs up Got one several years ago!

Hi Ray

I bought my H&H EZ Rotary vise several years ago and like it quite well. I've used for a variety of flies and find it to be quite satisfactory. I've recently upgraded to a Renzetti more because of the hoopla about Rensetti than dissatisfaction with the H&H vise. I'm presently saving the H & H Rotary as a back-up vise and for the use of my granddaughter who is just getting interesting in fly tying and fly fishing. The EZ Rotary is a very good, servicable vise for the money. Bluegill hit the one problem with the vise right on the head. The o-ring did break after a couple of weeks of use. Hope that helps. 8T

I have been tying on my E-Z Rotary vise for about a year now with zero complaints. The o-ring on mine has never cracked or given the first hint of trouble. I keep the vise head wiped down with a very light coating of oil when done and make sure to get the o-ring a dab of oil too, to keep it pliable. Zero problems.
    I tie the vast majority of my trout flies on a Regal w/ Midge Jaws. I bought the E-Z vise mainly for tying smallmouth bass flies. I've tied on hooks from size 20 down to 2/0 on the E-Z vise with zero problems. I'm surprised to see some folks having problems or saying don't tie with big hooks on this vise as mine has given zero problems using up to 2/0 hooks.
    I got the pedestal plus the c-clamp with the bobbin holder as a kit with the vise.
    For $50.00, it would be tough to top, IMO.

+++
    Mark 1:17

Got one, and have used it with zero problems. Never went over a size 8, so I can't comment on holding big hooks. It can be a bit of a PITA to tighten the jaws right. I still have it, but I do most of my tying on a regal now because I like the lever action jaws...One way you could improve the H&H tightening method is to replace the thumbscrews with something bigger or JB weld some old allen wrenches into the screws so you've got something easy to adjust tighten up. For the price, you can't really beat it.
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

forgot to mention this in my earlier response but the tightening is an easy fix if your having trouble with it... get a screw at the hardware store just a little longer than the thumb screw and a wing nut that will fit the screw... run the wingnut almost all the way down leaving 2 or 3 threads exposed in between the screw head and wingnut... put a drop of superglue on those threads and run the wingnut the rest of the way against the head & let that dry... install the new fix to your vise...
    A.S.F 5th GP ...TO FIGHT SO OTHERS MAY REMAIN FREE...

+ Reply to Thread