View Poll Results: How much could a rod, reel, line, backing cost for Atlantics salmon fishing ??

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Well over 1000 bucks (USD or CND ... it's still a lot of money)

11 17.74%
  • 600-800$

8 12.90%
  • About 400-500$

18 29.03%
  • Less than 300$

25 40.32%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curious question: Rod cost ???

Hybrid View

Question Curious question: Rod cost ???

Hi all, ... I replied to a post on the Quebec french fly fishing board. It got me thinking ...

How much do you think that a rod, reel, line and backing could cost to comfortably fish for Atlantic salmon in Eastern Canada/North America?

There were some weird numbers running around the other board and I'd like to get an idea from you all here.
    Last edited by fcch; 10-02-2009 at 06:21 PM.
    Christopher Chin

How much "could" a rod, reel, line cost. The sky is the limit. How much "should" it cost is another matter.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

Talking

Sorry, ... I'll be more explcit ...

How much SHOULD a rig cost.
    Christopher Chin

Chris

I know nothing about fishing for Atlantics. May have to change that someday. I said $400 - $500. I choose that based on single handed rods and not spey or switch. Also I would think you would want a good quality reel that holds 200 + yds of backing.

But then again, what do I know?

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

There is some pretty good stuff for good prices these days. Redington Red.Fly, Red.X, and Crosswater Combos for example. The rods are pretty good and the Redington Crosswater reel, though made from a composite rather than aluminum has an impressive drags for an inexpensive reel. I have heard a number of good things about them from people using them for Salmon on the left coast as well as other saltwater stuff. Lots of other packages could be assembled from sub $150 rods and reels.

Christopher,

When you ask the question, "How much COULD a rod and reel cost to fish for Atlantic Salmon?", that sort of opens it up to the high end outfits. Perhaps if you asked "How much should I expect to pay for a rod and reel outfit that is suitable for fishing for Atlantic Salmon." you would get more consistent answers. The real answer is as always, that depends...

Make
    Model
    Quality - especially for the reel.

Just a thought...

Jim Smith

On the final episode of The Fishin' Hole with Jerry McGinnis there was a good clip of Jerry, Coach Knight, and Ted Williams fishing for Atlantics in Russia
    Mr Williams was using a Medalist reel on a similar low end rod.
    This was not the 'olden days' when that's all there was and Mr Williams could surely afford to use what ever high end stuff he wanted.
    He just chose not to
    Last edited by dudley; 10-02-2009 at 10:44 PM.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Just like everything else in fly fishing (as well as life) you "can" make it cost as much as you want. I know guys that go to BC and use rigs that set them back over $2000. Does that mean they will catch more or bigger fish than anyone else? no not at all.

There's no reason you couldn't put together a set up of rod/reel/line/backing for under $300 and be perfectly happy with it.

Ahh the "The Fishin' Hole"..I use to love that show when I was a kid. Jerry use to always take his little hotdog "Norman" with him all the time lol. That was a cool show.

Default "low end rods" for Salar

Quote Originally Posted by dudley View Post
    On the final episode of The Fishin' Hole with Jerry McGinnis there was a good clip of Jerry, Coach Knight, and Ted Williams fishing for Atlantics in Russia
    Mr Williams was using a Medalist reel on a similar low end rod.
    This was not the 'olden days' when that's all there was and Mr Williams could surely afford to use what ever high end stuff he wanted.
    He just chose not to
    Ted 'The Splendid Splinter', retired to his place on a great Salmon river up North, and his preferred rods were built for him by Fenwick. At the time he started, Fenwick was state-of-the-art, first in glass and then in the new carbon fibres. Even though I have and happily ffish Generation 2, 3, 4,....Nth sticks and have cast innumerable casting machines, quite a few of the Fenwick models are my favorites.

tl
    les

BTW, if you examine the innards of Pflueger Medalists, you will see a very sophisticated drag system.

IMHO, fly rod technology has improved so much that an angler doesn't have to spend big bucks for a good rod. I've cast rods costing $200.00 that I thought were good. And I think Cablela's fly lines are a great bang for the buck.

Randy

+ Reply to Thread