Quote Originally Posted by fcch View Post
Hi all, ... I replied to a post on the Quebec french fly fishing board. It got me thinking ...

How much do you think that a rod, reel, line and backing could cost to comfortably fish for Atlantic salmon in Eastern Canada/North America?

There were some weird numbers running around the other board and I'd like to get an idea from you all here.
How do you feel about where the rod was made? Do you want to feel are warm inside thinking "wow, my stuff was made by <blank>" even tho it might be made in China and the majority of the cost is the name?

I will assume you mean SHOULD COST as well. You can easily get a good single handed rod for about $150, reel for $100, line for $50, or for spey get a rod for $300, reel for $200, line for $80. You wont be able to feel all warm inside about having a "hardy" written on the equipment tho. For that you have to spend the upper 3 figures for their Chinese made (or is it south korean?) crap. Not that it is crap, it just isnt much better than stuff that is 1/4th the cost.