+ Reply to Thread

Thread: processing fly tying materials at home

Hybrid View

Normand Guest

Default processing fly tying materials at home

That link is from my neck of the woods Normand. I own this book which is a small investment: http://www.amazon.com/Field-Fly-Tier.../dp/1571882057 I think I bought my copy off of Ebay for $6

Will be chasing turkeys this weekend and have a nice selection of biots, maribou and other select feathers.

Default thank you...

for this normand! i have a lot of friends/relatives who hunt from where im from, and my girlfriend owns chickens, ducks, and peacocks. some of her relatives are trappers, too so i hope i can get into some good materials. thanks again for posting!
    "Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day!"

Blog Entries

My grand kids are constantly bringing me feathers they find from doves and black birds. I have a neighbor that saves feathers for me from her four birds. Those I'm saving for the day n the not too distant future that I decide to try a full dress salmon fly.

The dove wing quills yield some nice Catskill type dry wings. I don't know what to do with the black bird feathers, yet, but I have some nice ones!

My idiot neighbor is trying to keep chickens in town. I'll have to take a closer look at that rooster that keeps waking me up on weekends.

Do not tie flies with blackbird feathers . It is a federal offense and can lead to a large fine. Don't even keep them. Dove feathers if they are a legal game bird in your state are all right but if you are not certain of what a feather is don't keep it.
    Last edited by rainbowchaser; 10-02-2009 at 09:19 PM. Reason: lousy typing
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Seklew,
    You should be ashamed. Dating a nice young lady, just for her connections to free tying materials! (Does she have a sister who wouldn't mind dating a worn out old married man? )

Normand,
    Thanks for the link. I'm always receiving materials, deer tails, squirrel tails, feathers, etc. from friends who hunt. I have had a few go bad on me.

Kirk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowchaser View Post
    Do not tie flies with blackbird feathers . It is a federal offense and can lead to a large fine. Don't even keep them. Dove feathers if they are a legal game bird in your state are all right but if you are not certain of what a feather is don't keep it.
    Isn't that a kick in the north end of a southbound donkey?

I don't know if these are true blackbirds or not, but from the looks of that list for the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, it's probably there someplace. They are black and they are birds and they migrate. It doesn't seem right that hundreds of those little critters can invade my backyard and leave feathers all over the place that, apparently, I can't even rake up and throw away legally. I am going to have to dig into this further, but I appreciate the heads up.

Kind of makes that rooster's prospects for a long noisy life a little slimmer.
    Last edited by kbproctor; 10-03-2009 at 03:27 AM.

Starlings are OK. They are considered pests. Crows are OK in most areas that I know of. Grackles and other blackbirds are a no-no. Domestic parrots etc. are OK as far as I know.

Guess it all depends on what type of blackbird it is. The starlings do make some good flies.

Jeff

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

It's OK to use if the bird is:
    1. A species with a legal hunting seaon
    2. raised, or sold commercially
    3. legally considered a pest

Thumbs up

Fly Tying Materials by Eric Leiser is an older book but is very good.
    Your library may have access to a copy for you.

+ Reply to Thread