+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kern River

Hybrid View

Default Kern River

Seeing as how my last trip to the Kern got called off much too early (water filtration breakdown), I had one last opportunity to get in and catch a Kern rainbow (for the CA Heritage Trout Challenge). I left Sacramento at 4:00 am, arrived at the trailhead by 9:30 am, hiked 10 miles, and set up camp by 4:00 pm.

Along the way, I got to pass creeks, meadows, and giant Sequoias until I got my first look at the amazing Kern canyon (look closely to the left and you'll see the trail snaking down the side of the canyon):

Finally seeing this come into view, I was getting excited:

And this is what I came to catch:

You just can't get mornings that are much better than this:

The fishing was great:

And the water was spectacular:

This was to be the last fish of the trip:

Had to pack up and get ready for the next day, a day I knew would be long. Left camp at 8:15 am, climbed the 2,300 feet and hiked the 10 miles back to the trailhead, and got to the car at 2:00 pm. Dusted myself off, and drove back to Sacramento, arriving at 8:00 pm. 3 days was a whirlwind, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

John

Thumbs up

John -

Another exciting report and with great pics.

I'd do that hike in a heartbeat, too. About 185 per minute going out with that 2300' elevation gain, even over ten miles.

Although I previously mentioned to you that I haven't had any real interest in fishing in the Golden State, I'm starting to change my mind. Thinking I may have to get my backpacking stuff cleaned up and field tested in case I can talk you into "guiding" me some time next summer to some of the places you are fishing in the Sierras ??

John
    The fish are always right.

Outstanding report and pics, thanks for sharing.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    Although I previously mentioned to you that I haven't had any real interest in fishing in the Golden State, I'm starting to change my mind. Thinking I may have to get my backpacking stuff cleaned up and field tested in case I can talk you into "guiding" me some time next summer to some of the places you are fishing in the Sierras??
    Ha! John, you're on buddy! I've already started plotting out my summer (including another trip to your neck of the woods), so maybe we can swap guiding

John

Although I previously mentioned to you that I haven't had any real interest in fishing in the Golden State, I'm starting to change my mind. Thinking I may have to get my backpacking stuff cleaned up and field tested in case I can talk you into "guiding" me some time next summer to some of the places you are fishing in the Sierras ??

John
    I lived in Cal. for a couple of years, back in the early 60's, and took just enough trips to the high country to find out that it has some of the most fantastic country you'd ever want to see and fish. You could wear out a lot of shoe leather just hiking over half of the good stuff. Wish I were still able to do now what I was doing then. You'd better jump all over any opportunity to have someone who knows, show it to you.
    They're just fish, right? Right?

I've worked in Bakersfield for close to 2 1/2 years now off and on and have never fished the Kern even though it's right outside of town. I'll have to pack a rod next time I fly out. Nice looking fish. How is the lower Kern? I've had several sport injuries so hiking 10 miles is not my cup of tea. The lower Kern right off 178 looks like it would be a lot easier to fish.

+ Reply to Thread