+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How often do you fish size 20 and smaller flies?

Default How often do you fish size 20 and smaller flies?

I'm wondering whether the popularity of these small flies is waxing or waning? I know I'm surrounded by them down here, and that's all I hear about and teach, but how about you all in the rest of the US. Do you carry flies that small? Do they work for you, and probably most importantly, do you have confidence in them? Thanks everyone in advance.

------------------
    Jude
    Late to bed,
    Early to Rise,
    Guide all day,
    Tie more flies!
    www.customflys.com

If 20 is not my most often used dry fly size it is awfully close. I do tie and fish the occassional 22, but almost never anything smaller. Blue Wings and midges hatch year round here and there are many days that if you're not carrying those small flies you're just waving your rod around.

JeremyH

I tied a new pattern today that called for a #12. Just coudn't force myself to do it and tied it on a #14, the biggest hook I had available. I gaped at the end result, wondering if a trout would really eat anything that big.

Something about being out west, I guess. Usually I consider a #18 to be a big fly.

I use and tie a lot of size #20 and smaller flies. I do not think this size of fly is going anyplace in the near future. Been around for a long time and will be here for longer than we will. ROn

With the exception of matching the hatch requirements that make me go bigger than a #18; I fish dinky flies all the time.

I fish #22-32 midges whenever I know they will be productive. While the 32's can be a bit of a challenge to get a good hook-up with; the 22-28 sized flies account for a good number of my fish each season and some nice fish too.

At this time of year I use them too much!
    There is a certain tailwater we fish that is loaded with black fly larva. The dinkier, the better.
    Thank goodness for 'Big Eye' hooks!

Good question Jude,
    I fish drys and nymphs in the 16 - 24 range. Rarely larger and I can't thread anything smaller so that is also rare.

jed

Blog Entries

#14 is about the biggest I use . I catch some pretty big fish on #20 hooks . Trout eat small food , Ergo I use small hooks .
    Plus it really bugs my buddy that I outfish him with Quote "Those stupid tiny bugs " while the fish are busy shunning his worms . I get really tickeled when that happenes . His pride won't let him try it although he has a flyrod and I have often offered him the fly that is currently working . Can you say stubborn as a mule ???
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Blog Entries

I carry flies down to #24 but I only go smaller than #18 when necessary.
    Steve

------------------
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"-Will Rogers
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

A size 20 griffith's gnat is my go-to fly.
    Much of the year on the Farmington, if you fish a fly larger than a 24, you'll get skunked

[This message has been edited by dudley (edited 09 January 2006).]
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

+ Reply to Thread