+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: headwaters bamboo rods

Normand Guest

Default headwaters bamboo rods

i received a letter and pamphlet in the mail last nite from headwaters about their 40% off sale and was wondering if the bamboo casters out there could shed some light on this brand.

are they quality rods?

yes they're probably from the orient. whatever.

good for a beginner bamboo?

medium action or medium fast action?

How committed to new boo are ya? I only ask because I was on a similar journey until a few good buddies pointed me toward some vintage boo, and I ended up finding in pretty short order a '69ish Orvis Madison 2pc/1tip 6'6" rod for a steal. I would happily pass along the websites I cruised looking for a used rod, along with some sites listing new builds at a really fine price (domestics).

To answer your question, no, I don't know a darn thing about headwaters sticks, but feel free to PM me for info. Is there a particular price point or window within which you're operating?

I haven't cast one yet (got the same letter a couple weeks ago), but when I asked around one of the guys at work said he'd picked one up and was pretty happy with it. Second hand report I know, but that's all I got for you and this guy generally knows his stuff.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Norm,

If you haven't found it yet, check out http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/directory
    Walt

One point to consider is that there is very little secondary market for these rods. That does not matter if you die with the rod in your hand (except maybe to your kids). If you buy a high quality name brand used rod for about the same bucks, it will at a minimum hold its value and may appreciate. There are a lot of Orvis Battenkills on the used market in the $400 to $600 range. These rods are often in excellent shape. Since they are impregnated with plastic they are nearly indestructable. You buy one and don't like it (or bamboo in general) you sell it for the same price. It makes for a pretty painless sojourn into trying bamboo. Of course if you like it you will go out and buy more anyway.

Just a thought,
    David

Also, there are some cane rod makers out there that can build a good rod for the same price you would pay for a Headwaters. Also there are those that completely restore older boo rods that you can pick up for a decent price.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

I don't know how much the Headwaters rods cost but I do know you can find a very nice vintage, American rod for between $200.00-$400.00 dollars. Sometimes even less. And you won't lose any money on them if you decide bamboo isn't your cup of tea. Let the economy come back and you'll make a couple dollars, given that you shop and buy right.

The "blue collar" rods I would look at are: South Bend, Heddon, Horrocks & Ibbotson and the upper end Montagues. Graingers can sometimes be found for a good price as can Phillipsons.

I just bought a 4 Wt., 2/2, 7' bamboo rod by a contemporary maker for $250.00. Some vintage rods can be had for half that. I have a very nice, although not desireable, Montague Fishkill I gave $100.00 for. Only reason it isn't desireable is that it is a 9 foot rod. Stay with the shorter lengths, ie, 7'-8', if you want to get your money back or make a few dollars on your investment.

Having said that, if you learn to slow down your stroke and let a bamboo rod do what a bamboo rod is supposed to do you won't go back to synthetic stuff. If you have to "run & gun" you won't like bamboo.

anglerdave...I dearly love your John Adams quote. Truer words were never spoken.

Vic
    Last edited by sharps; 10-03-2009 at 01:21 AM.

8. Default

I received a rod from Headwaters for a product review (review will appear in the winter issue of Flyfishing & Tying Journal). The rod I received was the "Deschutes", an 8', 2-piece 5-6 weight, rated as a medium action. It's in the Deluxe range with a list price of $550.00. The rod duplicates the taper of the Dickerson 8014 and is nicely finished with black-tipped red windings and attractive fittings, and comes with two tips.

I've fished it through most of the summer and fall for and trout and sea-run cutthroat (and a couple of unexpected coho) and have been quite satisfied with its casting and fish-fighting qualities. The rods are available in three ranges; Favorite ($330), Deluxe ($550) and Peerless ($770), the first two are manufactured and finished in China, and the last is built on a Chinese blank and hand-finished in the US.

These rods represent an excellent value and are well worth consideration.

Normand,
    I would look at Headwaters if you want to dabble in bamboo but don't want to be fully committed. I used to own one (model Santium) and believe it or not it was fine and the workmanship was not half bad. The reason to check them out is that they appear to be building their rods based on traditional tapers. While you can take a chance as others suggest to get a used South Bend or other used/vintage rod you are probably not going to find a Phillipson or other famous rods for the same price that you can buy a Headwaters in that famous taper. I agree with the others that you may have touble re-selling it if you paid list but if you get a good deal on it you can probably sell it on eBay for the same (discount) price or close to it.
    AZ

Hi,

I haven't wiggled a Headwaters since their early days, so I have no legit opinion on the current rods offered,

but...

...just an fyi - there's an entry level priced Iowa maker who comes to the MN Great Waters expo named (something) Pennington

wait - found a card :

Pennington Split-Bamboo Fly Rods
    penningtonrods@msn.com

I think his rods go for around $325 to $500. I've only wiggled them, but a couple friends bought them and have no complaints. He's made rods in Iowa for about 20 years, they say, and uses traditional tapers as a starting point, too.

Just some info,

Kat

+ Reply to Thread