Thread: River Wharfe, Yorkshire, England

Threaded View

Blog Entries

Default River Wharfe, Yorkshire, England

got to go back to Yorkshire to visit friends a couple of weeks ago. they live about a mile from the River Wharfe. that is considered walking distance over there, even if it is straight uphill all the way home!

all the water is controlled by various private fishing clubs and syndicates, and if you're not a member, you buy can sometimes buy a day ticket. they range from 15 to 35 pounds for a day's fishing ($25-$60) so i was delighted when my host found a 50-yard stretch of river owned by the local council (town) where fishing is free. it was just right for an evening's fishing, and i caught my first grayling there.

i fished one day with an excellent guide who takes really nice photos as well as instructing on correct Czech nyphing technique. it's just like having a private papparazzi along, combined with your favorite fishing guru. another day i took a bus up the valley and fished on my own. the scenery was wonderful, but i didn't have much luck matching the sparse hatches and nymphing: three heartbreakingly gorgeous strikes was it. finally, in front of the pub parking lot, i tied on a #14 CDC ant with white rubber legs and attracted a whole lot of attention. managed to land one lovely brown out of three on--guess i was pretty cold by then. moral: always fish the parking lot pool!

Thanks to John Scott for the help posting the photos. It works best if you use Internet Explorer with Photobucket. enjoy!

Last edited by CaseyP; 10-03-2009 at 11:53 PM.
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.