+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: thread sixes & color ID

Hi guys,

Unfortuneately there is a lot of difference of sizing from one manufacturer to another just like some hook manufacturers but Steve is right about the denier per 9000 meters of product. FYI, just got my first order of the fall season from Danville and the spools are marked:

70 (old 6/0)
    140 (old 3/0)
    210 (old size A or single strand floss)

By the way, Gretchen and I always use 210 denier (size A) unwaxed for our single strand floss because it lays down such a nice smooth body straight out of the bobbin. We tie all of our size #14 & larger Humpies with it then switch to 140 or 70 for the smaller sizes. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Gretchen & Al Beatty
    www.btsflyfishing.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by William Fitzgerald View Post
    For the latest in thread Brands,Aught size,Material,Denier, Breaking Strength,and Thickness go to Chris Helms catalog page 17
    www.whitetailtieing.com
    Also a article on"Using Denier to Standardize Fly Tying Thread"

Parnelli for your chart Benecchi 8/0 150 denier--10/0 120--12/0 70
    BILL
    that link didn't work for me

Blog Entries

Thank you for posting these. That was very helpful for me. Now I know why I prefer flat waxed or fly master plus...because the breaking strength is much better...I got the regular flymasters, and I just kept breaking it...but it is good for smaller heads though to make them look smoother

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kelkay View Post
    that link didn't work for me
    heres the catalog from chris helm

http://www.whitetailflytieing.com/PDF/v1.3.pdf

This thread has me thinking of thread (OK it didn't start out as a joke), but I pulled out my own tying supplies and it really is amazing what one accumulates. I have benecchi, Danville, Gudebrod, Orvis, Uni and Ultra (UTC) as brands. Just took delivery of 8 spools of GSP this week to play wth.

The article in the Chris Helms catalog was a good short piece and the article that was referenced earlier in the thread on the Fly Fisherman web site, I have in my favorites. If I was a new guy, just starting out, I would see what was available locally. This would allow me to go to my local shop and buy a couple of spools that match everything else that I have. Then you won't end up with 6 different brands and your range of threads won't overlap so much or be so redundant.

For me I would probably select Waspi UTC product. If I tied smaller patterns I would start with 70 and 140. If I fished a little larger patterns maybe 140 and 210. I would keep it much simpler than my current condition.

Blog Entries

That link did work for me, and it was an interesting read. Thank you. I prefer threads such as flat waxed nylon, or Flymasters Plus. I guess you can say I am a bit of a heavy handed tyer. I tend to break lighter threads, and that is very frustrating. So I tend to stick with heavier threads. Now if I am making a small fly, I can go with a lighter thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    heres the catalog from chris helm

http://www.whitetailflytieing.com/PDF/v1.3.pdf

Clay I know what you mean. I just realized I have more spools of thread on my fly tying table then my wife has in her sewing room! And I'm sure I need a few more...

+ Reply to Thread