+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly rod for backcountry hiking

Default Fly rod for backcountry hiking

I've seen recommendations in other places, but wanted to cast the line here too.

I'm planning on doing some serious backcountry hiking and "exploration" next year, visiting a local state park with a wide variety of habitats from fields, to dense woods, to swamps. I'm looking for a fly rod and reel that meets the following requirements:

1. I can put the rod and reel in a backpack that may get some abuse from time to time without worrying about weight or damage.

2. I'd like it to be a five weight because that's what I'm currently using and am used to (as I've mentioned before, I've only been fly fishing since June). I'd be willing to drop down to a three weight if it will be suitable for the warm water fishing I prefer (panfish and bass, with some carp or bullhead possibly thrown in).

3. I like rods with a medium-to-fast action. Some people have said that multi-part rods are always slow. Some people say this is a lie.

4. I'd like to spend $200 or less on the rod and reel combined. This might be like saying "I want a pony", but I'm hoping it's doable.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Default Wildwater

Jeff,

I recently (two weeks ago) bought one of theses from a gentleman on this site:
    http://shop.wildwaterflyfishing.com/...y-Rod-0005.htm
    Looking @ your needs, I would say it fits your wants perfectly. I am impressed by this little 5wt. I like mine a little slower, so I overlined it with a 6wt line. It lawn cast great (I have not had it out yet). At 7' and 4 peices the tube is packable @ 25.5". It inexpensive, & has a lifetime warranty. I think the cosmetics on the blank could have been a little better,but the hardware is top-notch.

Brannon
    http://cff1611.proboards.com
    Sow a thought....reap an act;
    Sow an act....reap a habit;
    Sow a habit...reap a character;
    Sow a character....reap a destiny!!!!!

Albright A-5 3wt. 7'6" 5 piece. About $130. to your door. Check out the FAOL Sponsor page.
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Blog Entries

I've built the Batson forecast 7'6" 5 piece 4 weight for several of my buddies. They all love it, and it breaks down to around 20". It casts nice, and you should be able to order the kit from Hook and Hackle for a very fair price.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

So far the HX and Albright A5 look the most interesting. I think building a rod would be quite a fun activity, but right now I'm more looking for a "Here's a rod and it works" solution (although I did bookmark that site ol' blue!).

The have some interesting reels on the Albright site, specifically the ones here:

http://www.albrightflyfish.com/fly-r...fly-reels.html

The price point is nice, but as amazing as it might sound, I know less about reels than rods. The only one I've handled for any length of time is an ancient model that belonged to my grandfather.

Does anyone have experience with the ones at the above link? Do you have a good experience with a different reel in the same price range? Apart from not being a pain in the rear while fishing, a "good experience" would be "I dropped it on a rock and it still worked."

Please, keep the thoughts coming!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Clough View Post
    So far the HX and Albright A5 look the most interesting. I think building a rod would be quite a fun activity, but right now I'm more looking for a "Here's a rod and it works" solution (although I did bookmark that site ol' blue!).

The have some interesting reels on the Albright site, specifically the ones here:

The price point is nice, but as amazing as it might sound, I know less about reels than rods. The only one I've handled for any length of time is an ancient model that belonged to my grandfather.

Does anyone have experience with the ones at the above link? Do you have a good experience with a different reel in the same price range? Apart from not being a pain in the rear while fishing, a "good experience" would be "I dropped it on a rock and it still worked."

The Albright Reel has a price that's pretty nice. You probably won't go wrong. Just remember that for most freshwater applications, a reel is for storing the line at the end of the day.
    Steve

Another vote for the Wildwater Rod, I have the HX 4 pc. 9 ft. 5 wt. and the reel to match. Very nice product.

I also do some backpacking. Usually, it is on small brook trout streams. I carry an Elkhorn 4 pc. 2 wt., again with the matching reel.

I think that most 4 piece rods, 8 foot long or under, whatever the weight, are very packable.
    I use the rod tube that came with the 2 weight and simply carry the reel in a zippered outside pocket. A small fly box with about two dozen flies, a spool of tippet, a pair of nippers, a pair of forceps and I'm ready to go.

TwoWeight

Default I my humble opinion....

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Clough View Post

Can't go wrng with a meadlist for $25 if your trying too kepp the price down: Here is one @ troutlet (another board sponser)
    http://www.troutlet.com/Pflueger-Med...ls-P197.aspx-- Add a Hoock & Hackle high floater line..you come in well under $200!!!!

BP
    http://cff1611.proboards.com
    Sow a thought....reap an act;
    Sow an act....reap a habit;
    Sow a habit...reap a character;
    Sow a character....reap a destiny!!!!!

Some other options in 4pc rods. All excellent values.

Cortland Ready to Fish 4pc 7'6" outfit. Comes with Rod, Reel, line, and rod/reel case. $119. The rod sections will be 22" which may fit in your pack. My local flyshop has been selling a lot of the 8'6" 5wt combos which are also $119.

St. Croix Rio Santo 8' 4pc 4wt outfit. $200. New this fall. Rods are $120 alone.

St. Croix Triumph 8' 4pc 4wt outfit. $170.
    St. Croix Triumph 7'6" 4pc 4wt outfit. $170.

You can get the Triumph rods alone for $120. You might start to see these discounted since the Rio Santo replaces the Triumph in the lineup. There are 8'6" and 9' 5wt models in both the Triumph and Rio Santo lineups.

Redington Red.X 8'6" and 9' 4pc 5wt combos: $179.

Jeff, My experience with Albright reels are with the Bugati 3/4 and a 4wt topwater. Both are nice working reels. Like Steve said, it's just for storing line in "most" freshwater applications.
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

+ Reply to Thread