I had the boys tie SWHAP fly and a black foam spider. The first let them handle and cut hair off a squirrel tail and I used punch yarn for the body. The second was simple foam from a craft store. I used heavy tying thread so that they would not break it. We kept it to four legs, ( two pairs of two) instead of eight legs and a small section of straw to hold the legs or hair back for the whip finish. Some boys were good at it and made great flies, some were interested but could not tie very well, some wanted to do something else. Also did a casting class with a fiberglass rod and most did pretty well. We are planning a trip to a trout stream this spring, most of the fishing close by is for panfish or bass. I have had one boy complete the badge, but several would like to work on it if they could get to water consistantly. All in all it was a very fun, rewarding experiance. I am sure in times to come the boys will thank you for being unselfish enough to share your time and interests with them.