+ Reply to Thread

Thread: STAINED IN ONIONS - Readers Cast - September 28, 2009

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default STAINED IN ONIONS - Readers Cast - September 28, 2009

STAINED IN ONIONS

Jeff Hamm shows us how we can dye wool in natural materials to obtain some really nice results.

Hi Jeff

Very nice job, I enjoyed your article. I can remember growing up on the farm and how my mother and grandmother would use different natural items to dye just about anything that would take a stain. They also used onions and many of the other items you listed plus a few more. The wool you stained looks great. I really like the colors you got. I know it will make killer flies. I could be wrong but I don't think Alum would really be necessary for dying wool. But I don't think it would hurt anything either. I've done some natural tanning of hides with the hair left on and I was always told the alum was needed to keep the hair from slipping or falling out after the skin was tanned. Using too much alum does seem to make the hides very stiff. Keep us informed of the flies and how the fish like your flies from onion skins. Thanks for an interesting article.

Flap Jack

Thanks Flap Jack,

I think the alum helps preseve the colours, making them resistant to fading. Probably not a serious problem with flies since they are not fished in hot water, though it's also supposed to help make them colour fast to the sun light too. Other metalic salts can be used, iron and chrome I recall, but some of them are poisonous. Alum is safe. Anyway, this is a very simple way to dye.

Oh, I just noticed that the plant material used for #4 is not listed, that was dandelions (using roots, leaves, stems, and flowers; if you use just the open yellow flowers you get yellow dye). Tree bark, off new growth, works too. I recently used some from a species of maple (not sure what kind) and dyed up some white lama wool and ended up with a ginger.

- Jeff

Jeff
    Yes you are correct about the alum I didn't think of that. I can see the need and how the alum would make the wool color fast. You are also correct about using the bark from trees. I can remember Mum using walnuts, butternuts, hemlock, cherry and maple. Back then each family did things a little different with secrete formulas to get different colors. I also remember she would brew the stuff up outside and then store it for later use.

Flap Jack

Hi Flap Jack,

I recall reading about walnuts. The husk that surrounds the shell produces a very good strong brown dye. There's a huge walnut tree growing at the camp ground I stay at when I'm in Rotorua, so next time I'm there at the right time of year I'll be picking up husks to give them a try. Berries work as well, but I just can't bring myself to waste a good feed of fresh strawberries or blueberries. Variations of yellow through orange/browns are the most common, it's going towards blue that harder to find. Woad and Indigo give a strong blue, but the dying process is quite complicated and involves ... uh ... stale urine. It apparently has no oxygen in it (which is, incidently, why you can't breath it , and that breaks down the blue dye into a water soluable form (which is green) and so it will then transport into the wool. Remove it from it's bath, and as it gets exposed to the air, the dye turns blue again. But, the dye is not very colour fast and eventually fades and washes out of the material (think blue jeans). Good pure reds are apparently hard too. There's a lot of neat lore in dyes. Purple was a royal colour because of how hard it was to make, the dye came from a shell fish of some sort. Go figure.

- Jeff

Wink

Jeff -

Maple walnut is my favorite ice cream.

Bet the fishies will go for that flavor, also !!

John

P.S. You are talking about flavored flies, aren't you ??
    The fish are always right.

+ Reply to Thread