Benjo, they don't stop running just because the water is low. There comes a point when they go up river anyways. Fishunter hooked 5 and kept two one day last week on the Alsea. You simply have to read the water because the usual holes might be too low for fish. I have found that even in very shallow water, the holes tend to get deeper behind the rocks and those are good hiding places. Even a foot of water is deep enough. My last two were in areas that shallow. I don't change sizes or go away from bright colors just because or low, clear water. If water is warmer and fish are sluggish (not a problem in Winter), then I fish slower and add some marabou to add movement on a slow fly.

I fish rivers with both Summer and Winter run fish as some will turn off when the other variety turns on. Always good to know your river.

I fish across from me for maybe 40% of my fish but catch most at the end of swing as I allow the water to move the fly around and around on the back sides of rocks downstream from me. I leave them there a long time and it works out. I tend to just fish rivers I know well. I fish from the bank as I don't have a drift boat and some rivers are too low to drift now anyways. I know lots of fishable areas that do not appear to have access. Sometimes you have to earn your success.