Hi everyone! I know this topic may be a bit inflamatory, and my point of view is fatalistic, but here it goes.
I grew up on the Snake River in Lewiston, Idaho. As a kid, my dad and one of his friends took me steelhead fishing several times (trolling really, but I digress). The debate over the dams and their actual usefulness has constantly been debated. The debate continues to go on as the steelhead and salmon runs steadily move towards zero.

With government being the way it is, I do not see a recovery ever being a reality. Before the government agrees that there needs to be a solution, we will be beyond one. So, here's my question: what will they do in the Pacific Northwest when the steelhead and salmon runs are gone?

I have an idea that probably will not happen, but is certainly viable. Carp. That's right, carp. I remember gigantic carp in huge pods in the boat launch shallows. In Lewiston, there is a paper mill that dumps its waste water into the snake. That water is about 92 degrees when it hits the river. It warms up the water above most tolerable limits for trout in the summer and increases algae production in the slowed river, which lowers the oxygen content. This kills pretty much all trout activity downstream, so that leaves smallmouth bass, carp, suckers, and catfish that can survive. Now, which of these is the hardest fighting fish? That's right, carp. I've seen upwards of 20 pounders on a regular basis tailing in shallows.

If carp continue to gain popularity, I think the lower snake river could make an awesome carp destination.

By the way, right now I am living in Austin, Texas and am hoping to go carp fishing in Town Lake sometime soon. There are 30 pounders caught on a regular basis with 40 pounders caught several times each month. The current record for the lake is 46 pounds. We get many tourists from Europe which refer to Town Lake as "The St. Lawrence River of America".

I hope this post doesn't tick off too many people, and I certainly don't want those fighting the good fight to give up, but I have become discouraged by the current administration's policies and I don't see fish preservation beating out big business when it comes to natural resource use (under ANY administration).

Cheers!