Well, why do we do it? What is it about fishing, and fly fishing in particular, that drives us to endlessly obsess over the tiniest bit of minutia? Maybe some of you have it figured out. What does fishing mean to you?

For my own part, when I was a kid fishing was fun but I didn't fish for the fun of it. I fished because it was a rare chance to spend time alone with my father. I was kept interested by the prospect of just the two of us hanging out at the bait shop or bobbing along in a boat, camping at night. After my father passed away I fished occassionaly, but it wasn't the same anymore. In fact, I dare say I found it boring.

However, as time passed I found my way back to the water for my own reasons. Now it was fly fishing instead of jigging for crappie. What brought me back to it? Maybe it was the rhythm, the peace, the excitement, the outdoors, the challenge of solving a puzzle or all of those things together. Perhaps I'm looking to vanquish my inner deamons. Maybe it's simple recreation and it's wishful thinking to try and drag some higher meaning out of it all. At this point I don't think I could say for sure. One day I hope to understand the allure of moving water and it's hold on me. For now though, I'm just enjoying the journey.

JeremyH