+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Patterns for the Sierras

Question Patterns for the Sierras

I am headded to the Sierras with the family the week of Oct 4. Anyone know what patterns are working right now? I'll be above Sonora fishing along the Sonora Pass and hitting some of the lakes. Midge and streamer patterns have worked well for me in the past this time of year.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Default Where ?

You fishing lakes or streams? Which side of the Sierra?

I'll be fishing both lakes and streams. I'll be on the west side above Sonora near Strawberry. I'll be fishing Pinecrest and Beardsley lakes as well as the stream the runs along the sonora path.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Default Fall fish'n is great!

Quote Originally Posted by TyroneFly View Post
    I'll be fishing both lakes and streams. I'll be on the west side above Sonora near Strawberry. I'll be fishing Pinecrest and Beardsley lakes as well as the stream the runs along the sonora path.
    Unfortunately i've never fished that side where you are going. I imagine patterns should be the same though. Midges definately work this time of year on both types of water. Fox's poopahs in the orangy tan color are usually a good bet in moving water. Try some in larger (10 or 12 October Caddis) as well as 16 18. Small Mayflies in 18 and 20 (micro May and flashback PT's). Streamers are great too, check out Sierra Drifters site for some good info on what is working on the East side right now and go from there.

Good luck and be sure to report back.

Rich

Thanks crook33.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Take some parachute ants in 12 and 14 also some lady bug patterns. Fish the lady bug behind an adams parachute in moving water. The adams will act as a strike indicator. The lady bugs and ants will work in both lakes and streams this time of year.

Tyrone,

Well, it's not *exactly* in my backyard, but I know exactly where you'll be. Have to admit the majority of my stillwater and stream fishing has been a little bit north of your destination, but I'm sure this'll get you on the right track. These are great starters and ought to put you onto some fish:

Dries:
    griffith's gnat
    stimulator
    mosquito
    royal wulff
    adams (parachute too)
    e/c caddis
    humpy
    ant
    elk hair caddis

Sub-surface:
    pheasant tail
    prince nymph
    san juan worm
    gold ribbed hare's ear
    fox's poopah
    zug bug
    bird's nest
    copper john
    woolly bugger

And be sure to check out these sites. A storehouse of info. Good luck!
    http://www.flyline.com/fly_patterns/
    http://stevenojai.tripod.com/flybox.htm

John

Smile

Thanks Mike and John.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Hoppers. I like the PMX or Amy's Ant. Also no-wing Adams as a general pattern. Go over the hill and hit some eastern streams. they will be in good shape this time of year.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

I was hoping this year to make it to the Bridgeport area. If I can I might make a long day trip over the pass to the eastern side. Now that my kids are older I'll be spending more time with them fishing near the cabin with spinning gear. Generally I get up an hour before the sun and fish until 11:00 am. By then the wife and kids are ready to go do something. By 4:00 pm they like to ride their bikes and that is when I head back out for a few hours.

Thanks all for the fly suggestions. Last year the fish were hitting hard on midges, but I heard this year it was not the case.
    Last edited by TyroneFly; 09-29-2009 at 03:33 AM.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

+ Reply to Thread