+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moffitt

Bass_Bug Guest

Default Moffitt

Please excue me if this has been discussed in another thread, I havent found it if it has.

Has anyone seen this system/idea of hookless flies? and if so, what do you think of it? I guess not a whole lot different concept than tube flies as far as hookless flies. This just places the hook at a different point on the line. If you have never seen or heard of the Moffitt system before you have to see this. Very radical concept in fishing.

http://www.moffittangling.com/?utm_s...aign=more_fish

This was discussed on another fly forum. It appears there is a question as to the legality of this method of fishing. Here is a link to that discussion.

Tim

http://www.westfly.com/forums/ubbthr...716#Post578716

Interesting concept. I don't know about the legality, but it seems a bit too complicated for my liking. I know that much about fly fishing has to do with "tinkering" with your stuff, but I like to keep things simple. I've actually never fished a dropper and dry.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Hi,

I'm pretty sure this is called snagging, and would be considered a no-no here in Nova Scotia and in New Zealand. It's also called "flossing" in some areas, where again, the idea is to get the line to enter a fish's mouth (usually salmon, where there are huge numbers of fish) then pull the line through the mouth and snag as indicated. That's against the law in most areas too. This is just really trying to get fish to floss themselves.

In order for this to become widely accepted, I think it would require specific law changes in order to accomodate it. I would highly recommend anyone thinking of trying this to first find out if this is allowed in your region. And get that in writing if they say it's ok.

- Jeff

One thing that turns me off to this system is this response to a question in their FAQ...

Q: How do I know which fly the fish took when I use more than one fly?

A:Its amazing how many times this has been asked during our trials and our response is always the same Why do you care if you just caught a fish? We generally receive a confused stare in response but we don't know any better way to answer.

-----------

Ummm perhaps, I would like to know, because then I can adjust the fly that's never getting a hit to something else!??

Paul

I ponied up a few bucks to check this out. Here are a few observations:

The shipment came from "China".
    The sample provided 6 flies 2 pt, 2 ghe, 2 scuds all the same size approx 14.
    One of the six flies was falling apart.
    The fly threaders are "cheesy"
    The hook remover is looks like something I would put together in the garage.
    The hooks aren't bad.

I haven't tried fishing them.

I don't think this is a new revolution.

Isn't this the same method as they use in Alaska with the "pegged" beads? For me something just doesn't fit, but, hey, who am I to judge, I use a "strike indicator" ("bobber" to many who criticize this method). Did I just pour gas on this fire? If so, I apologize.

Kelly
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Thumbs down Just another "jump on the bandwagon" bunch of bull !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bass_Bug View Post
    Please excue me if this has been discussed in another thread, I havent found it if it has.

Has anyone seen this system/idea of hookless flies? and if so, what do you think of it? I guess not a whole lot different concept than tube flies as far as hookless flies. This just places the hook at a different point on the line. If you have never seen or heard of the Moffitt system before you have to see this. Very radical concept in fishing.

http://www.moffittangling.com/?utm_s...aign=more_fish

As a fly designer, I am not all that impressed with what I have seen and read of the Moffitt system !!!! I even question the legality of such a method, and seems very much tha same as what certain guides were using up in Alaska !!!! No more then snagging !!! This guy just took this very questionable idea and is trying to milk it for all its' worth as to money making !!!! I'm a stubborn old dog, and set in my ways, so you won't find me jumping on this bandwagon !!!!!!!! I'm sure this is a fly by night bunch of bull that will fall by the way side and die its' death (hopefully soon) !!!!!

Its an expensive snagging system, using a circle hook. With a circle hook, the angler does not set the hook in the traditional manner, the fish does it for you....you put tension on the line, forcing the hook to the corner of the fishes mouth,its hooked 90 something percent of the time, it hooks itself basically. nothing new. When in my offshore days i used them bottom fishing for clients who could not hook a fish traditionally. the fish swimming off in another direction hooked itself....call it what you want, its still not flyfishing.
    Last edited by flybugpa; 09-25-2009 at 06:48 PM.
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

Question

Oh I don't know. The hook is set in the jaw, just in the opposite direction than usual.

The fish still takes the fly. Seems much different than snagging to me.

Flossing is running the line at the depth the fish (salmon or whatever) are holding with their jaws hanging open (spawning behavior). The line, by happenstance, gets hung up on the open jaw and the hook impales.

The hooks are barbless. That's always a plus. But being circle hooks the fish wont be able to throw it as easily.

I've foul hooked fish using regular flies, especially with a dropper and it's very unnerving. It seems like it would be difficult to foul hook a fish with these hooks.

I know it's unconventional and folks don't like radical change, but this may actually be worth a look.

Am curious how they tie the flies or if clipping regular fly hooks at the bend would work as well. Also whether they are the only suppliers of the barbless circle hooks.

+ Reply to Thread