+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Building Log Furniture

Default Building Log Furniture

My father in law and I have recently started making log furniture and have been practicing just using the cedar fence posts available at different places like Tractor Supply Co. We're really wanting to expand a little bit and start building with other woods.

I've been trying to find someone in Ohio who can provide me with logs of different types of pine for working (stripped or not, doesn't matter). Is anyone out there aware of a lumber or log distributor in Ohio (preferably central ohio, but really anywhere in the state) who might be willing to sell some logs/lumber?

I'd love to work with some knotty pine or lodgepole pine, but I'm not holding my breath on that one in Ohio

Anyone else out there make log furniture? Any tips they might want to share? We've got a couple tenon cutters a other little items, but we're really just jumping into it. I'll see if I can post a pic of the first head board we did (need to get it off my phone).
    Thanks!
    Leave No Trace

*Bump*

Here are a couple pictures of the first head board we did. This is using my custom finish (sshh...it's a secret). Ok, well not tough to figure out what I used, but I haven't ever seen anything like it before.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Leave No Trace

Cool

Nice! I love that rustic look.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Thanks!

I haven't ever seen anything finished like it before and have scoured the internet for the same process I use but I haven't found it.

Might have something original here...
    Leave No Trace

My rocking chair

We purchased three of these rockers while in west yellowstone back in 97.
    The pic is not all that good to examine the real craftsmanship but it sure is there.

Quality in log furniture for some reason is hard to find without paying
    a very high premium, if you can achieve the quality , look and price you will succeed.

We have some other log furniture, end tables, davenport ect, I will try to post a couple pic's for you, all nice solid stuff,,

There is allot of junk out there..

Your work reminds me of my chair.. Keep on building!

Steve
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Your finishing technique has been around for years. It works well, and looks great on your headboard. Just don't doze off during the treatment.

My dad built a camping trailer for us boys (3) when we were teens because the folks couldn't afford to upgrade from the old slip-in, cab-over camper. It was a simple box trailer with bunks built into the side walls and a few racks for gear.

Inside, the plywood walls were given this treatment and it really gave a more rustic feel and also a bit more pleasing aroma than plywood tends to have, at least for a while.

Nice job...

Tim
    Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

+ Reply to Thread