+ Reply to Thread

Thread: a couple of questions

Hybrid View

Hi Brannon, in the future try cutting the tag end flush with a razor blade. If a little bit of thread sticks up you can burnish it under with a fly tying bodkin or similar tool.

4 wraps in front of the guide foot is good. How many wraps before the guide ft is entirely up to the discretion of the rod builder.

Brannon,

As for those pesky thread ends...Save yourself the problem. Trim the tag end BEFORE you pull it through:

All you need is to trap the tag under a couple of thread wraps.

After feeding the tag end of your wrapping thread into the pull through loop, pull the wrapping thread taught and then pull the pull through loop to snug the thread against the side of the wrap but don't pull it under the wraps yet. This will hold it in place. Now, cut the tag very short, THEN pull it through. When you pull it through, the thread tag will slip out of the loop UNDER the wrap and the loop will pull free. Some gentle burnishing will close the wraps where the loop emerged and flatten the area where the thread end is hidden.

As for your question about the single foot guides, I'm not sure from your question if you are asking about the lower end of the wrap on the blank before you wrap up the guide foot, or if you are referring to the upper end of the wrap.

I use only single foot guides on fly rods, and I've always used the Forhan locking wrap to finish the wrap. This makes sure that the guide won't pull free and is easy to do. You can find out how to do this if you run a search (easy to do, hard to describe).

As for the amount of wraps on the blank, BEFORE the guide,that's up to you. The wraps on the blank don't help from a strength or durability standpoint. It's really just a matter of convenience (it's easier to start with a few wraps on the rod before you go up the guide foot) or aesthetics.

Some folks like all the wraps to be a certain length. Some folks taper their wraps using some kind of formula so they get shorter as they move up the rod.

I try to use only one wrap on the rod before going up the guide foot. That reduces weight, albeit just a tiny bit, but I hate doing 'extra work' where it's not needed.

I prefer to size the wrap lengths to the guide. To do that I try to make sure that, when I prepare my guide feet, they are even in length and taper based on the size of each particular guide. That way, without having to measure or mark wrap lengths, when I'm done everything looks neat and even.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    Last edited by Buddy Sanders; 09-23-2009 at 02:23 PM.
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Sanders View Post
    Brannon,

As for those pesky thread ends...Save yourself the problem. Trim the tag end BEFORE you pull it through:

Buddy

This is what I always do, but it seem like I always manage to mess on up and pull the tag end too far. That where I need help, getting rid of the one or two taht I acdentally pull through.

Thanks for all ya'lls help!

BP
    http://cff1611.proboards.com
    Sow a thought....reap an act;
    Sow an act....reap a habit;
    Sow a habit...reap a character;
    Sow a character....reap a destiny!!!!!

Blog Entries

I just use a razor blade to trim flush, then burnish.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

I haven't built many rods lately but when I was building rods I had trouble estimating the correct length to pull under without it popping up through the wrap. I learned to leave enough thread to grasp when pulled through, pull it really tight and cut with a razor sharp blade. The butt would recoil under the wrap.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread