+ Reply to Thread

Thread: reel seat removal

Default reel seat removal

I recently broke a rod and I am trying to remove the reel seat and possibly the grip to use on one i am building. Any suggestions as to how to go about getting them off in one piece?
    Wet wadin' hillbilly extraordinaire

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play.

Heraclitus

Blog Entries

Cool

To remove the reel seat, I've found it easiest to get a pot, place the end of the rod in when the water is boiling for a couple minutes , get a washcloth grab the seat and pull it off.
    As for the grip, rare you can salvage one. Best to either leave it or cut it off with a razor blade if you plan on using the old blank again......... hope that helps.....Ed

Put it into a heavy duty (freezer) bag and submerge in boiling water (use a big lobster/spaghetti pot) for 15 minutes. Pull it out and immediately twist the reel seat and once it moves, pull it downward. Make sure to grab with a super heavy glove OR a towel ... don't put hands on a 212 degree seat.

You MAY or may not be able to remove the cork grip next, but the process is the same. The problem with grip removal is that many times the heat needed to loosen the adhesive underneath the cork is also adequate to loosen the glue binding the rings together.

TJ -

Obviously Ed and I were posting at the same time ... two heads are better than one, so boil away.

+ Reply to Thread