+ Reply to Thread

Thread: fall patterns for gills?

Hybrid View

Default fall patterns for gills?

I hope to seek out this weekend or next to chase a few pan fish. I was going to tie a few versions of minnow patterns. and that got me wondering what everyone's favorite fall patterns are?

Its not quite cool enough here to have the fish back in the very shallow water. I expect to find the gills in 3-8 feet and not looking to take much on the surface. I have seen the bigger gills come in shallow to pig out one last run in the fall but I don't think its quite time for that yet.

Gather up all the scrap cuttings on your fly tying bench, bunch them together,
    and tie a few flies with them. You'll catch as many as the next guy.

Seriously, bluegill are not that discriminating. Aggresive little fish that eat opportunistically.

Don't get me wrong, I love the feisty little buggers and love spending a evening catching the hearty little fighters.

I'm prone to use foam bodies for top, or very simple nymph-like or very small streamers for the sub-surface. The pattern doesn't seem to really matter.

Just my opinion.

bobbyg
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

The Crappie Candy is a great pattern in yellow for late Summer or early Fall.
    I believe I can fly fish

I love the mixed bag sorts of flies but sometimes these fish are just too picky about it (honest) I don't think they see that many lures but there certainly is some pressure on them as a whole. It may also be a product of how clear the water is. Last month there was an algae bloom and the water was pretty murky. However, as the evening continue to cool and the light angle and hours shrinks the water will be clearing up nicely

I usually tie versions of patterns based on what I have or can get quick and easy. I want to have a few bigger patterns thinking that the big males will be looking for easy big meals rather than gathering small nymphs. I still will tie up some hare's ear and prince types too and maybe a red worm pattern too

Its always fun and educational though to hear other's thoughts on what to tie in a given situation. Thanks for sharing

have had really good luck on a bead head red squirrel nymph with rubber legs. a lot of bluegills brought to hand on this fly.

I ilke leeches at this time of year.
    Kevin Slater and I went out last night. Caught gills on the Furled tail Mohair leech.

Rick

+ Reply to Thread