Early next April, thanks to FAOL and BB member ohiotuber, I will spend a couple days fishing DePuy Spring Creek south of Livingston MT. Follow the links below for more information on the experience I can expect while I am there. That time of year, the main hatches should be midges and baetis, and there could be some scud and streamer fishing in the mix.

While spring creek fishing is outside my comfort zone, having the opportunity to go there and face the challenge of that kind of fishing would not be possible except for the folks on this Bulletin Board, who are the reason that I joined FAOL and participate on the BB regularly.

Since my time on DePuy will be so distinctly an FAOL thing, I would like to invite you all to participate. Rather than fish flies that I could tie for the occasion, I would like to fish the flies that you would tie to fish there if you were given the opportunity that I now have.

For the next several months, I'll be kind of bouncing around as we find a home in Missoula and get settled down. But starting sometime early next year, probably February, I'd like all who want to participate to tie one fly they would fish on DePuy and send it to me so I can fish it for you. The only criteria will be the kinds and sizes of flies listed in the "Hatching Chart" on the DePuy Spring Creek website ( link below ) for midge and baetis life cycle flies, scuds, and sculpins.

Feel free to jump in now with a commitment for a fly, or wait until we get a little closer to the event. As a practical matter, there will be a limit on how many flies I can fish in two or three days. My thought is to fish each fly that meets the "Hatching Chart" criteria until it catches a fish or one half hour, whichever is the shorter time. If it catches a fish, it will be featured in a "Reader's Cast" article wrapping up what will be for me a unique experience, and highlighting what the fly tiers on FAOL can do.

John

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...al20090803.php

http://www.depuyspringcreek.com/

P.S. Posting the name and description of the fly you want fished, with a photo, if possible, will help minimize duplication of flies, and could make for a very interesting continuing thread on the subject of spring creek fishing.