+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Al and Gretchen Beatty's book on Rotary Tying

Default Al and Gretchen Beatty's book on Rotary Tying

How many of you have read the book and have successfully implemented the techniques? I'm not done with the book, but have been working on things. I find it hard to lay down a thread base by turning the vise. I've tried to turn and wrap at the same time and it's like tapping your head and rubbing your belly at the same time.

Just currious how much of it you have actually implemented from others that have had the book longer than I. I'm about a 3rd through the book and struggling?

After I bought my Danvise from BT's and tried it for about a week, I ordered the book. I found it to be informative and easy to follow. I have tyed about a quarter of the flys shown. I have tyed other flys from books and articles using the rotary function of my Danvise and the techniques Al teaches. I would like to own the DVD also to further understand functions I'm not sure of.
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Red face Haven't tried it yet!

I haven't tried Al and Gretchen's book yet but I will probably give it a read sometime in the near future. Maybe I'll unlock the rotary knob on my Renzetti vise when I finish the book . 8T

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Thumbs View Post
    I haven't tried Al and Gretchen's book yet but I will probably give it a read sometime in the near future. Maybe I'll unlock the rotary knob on my Renzetti vise when I finish the book . 8T
    I've wanted the book ever since it came out, I own his DVD but the book is more detailed. I wish they would come out with a new DVD to compliment the book though since many techniques in the book are not on the DVD. Instead of the $25 for the book, I paid $15+ on Ebay, Amazon has a good price on it too. If you were looking for deal, it's a small price to pay.

I guess I am in a shell of doing things how I always have done them. Things like advancing thread and material down the hook shaft at the same time are much different than how I learned to tie. I'm just tying the patterns in the book how the authors wanted them tied and it is a drastic change from my normal technique.

I'm trying to have an open mind and even though the techniques are slower than my normal routine, I can see how they will become faster and more efficient as I practice them. Things like using the rotary feature to complete a hand whipe finish instead of using a tool are just odd to me.

I have a question folks.....Book or DVD? I plan to get one of them soon as I'm one of those guys who has failed to utilize my rotary.
    Thanks for any help,
    Mikey
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Quote Originally Posted by ohiotuber View Post
    I have a question folks.....Book or DVD? I plan to get one of them soon as I'm one of those guys who has failed to utilize my rotary.
    Thanks for any help,
    Mikey
    That's like asking should you buy a gizzly saddle or brown one? Of course any fly tier needs BOTH.

I'll send you a PM. Rick

Default BTs

I must go on record as saying anything that has Al or Gretchen's name on it is more than worth the $$. Some years ago I wanted to see if Rotary tying was for me? Purchased a Dan vise. Because I am an old guy and set in my ways it would not have been possible for me to adapt. (I am quite hard headed as those that know me will readily agree with)
    I purchased almost all of their tying VCRs for Liz when she wanted to improve her tying.
    Every now and then I go back and look for some tip I remember I had picked up from them.
    They are without a doubt the best instructors of fly tying in the World. Always ready and willing to help even dummys like me.

Book or DVD? A no brainer for sure. BOTH!

Denny 64 years of tying and still learnin.

Thanks for the replies. I will probably opt for the book 1st as I tend to do better when I have something (like a book or printed tutorial) in front of the vise.
    Mikey
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I don't have the DVD, but I can certainly recommend the book. I've tied all the 'demo' flies they show in the book using the 'rotary' techniques as they show them.

But that's not all I've gotten from the book. Frankly, most of the patterns they tie don't apply to my fishing, or better to say I have other patterns that fit the same niches that I like better.

It's the 'techniques' they show, and their application and expansion to not just other pattern's but other materials that has really changed how I tie flies now.

For example:

I can tie a 'bugger with only tieing things down twice, once to tie it all to the hook (all at once) and once to tie it off, again all at once. There's just a spin of the vise handle in between. Because you are turning the vise, not moving the materials, you can leave the materials attached to their respective holders/bags/spools/bobbins, whatever. No cutting before you tie, thus no wastage from 'trimming' stuff.

Spinning hair by turning the vise is not only faster, it's more easily controlled and you get a more even distribution of the hair. You also don't 'lose wraps' or add any unneeded ones with this method (so you don't trap any hair with a 'lock down' wrap). Spinning bass bugs is time consumming, and it's the 'spinning' part that takes the most of that time...rotary speeds this part up AND makes it easier for those just learning the skill to learn to do it easier.

Spinning peacock herl around the thread to 'stengthen' the weak hearl is a breeze with a rotary vise (I use a LOT of herl in my flies). You get a nice even thick or thin rope (your choice), and it doesn't unwind or tighten any once you start to wrap it. Once you figure it out, you can make the herl 'rope' with the thread, wrap it into place, and tie it down without stopping the vise from turning.

AND, you can spin multiple materials, like herl, chenille and a hackle feather all together. Buggy 'nymph yarn' spun with herl...you can add wire..any kind of flash material spun with a dubbed loop, herl, chenille, etc...You can make up any combinations you choose, fast, and get strong, neat, properly porportioned bodies in seconds.

I tie a lot of bass bugs, and use a hackle collar at the rear of the body on most of them. The rotary feature makes wrapping hackle for ANY type of fly, bass bug collar, dry fly hackle, wet fly, whatever, simple and easy. No worries about adding twist, you can see right where each wrap is going, and you can do it right AND fast.

These are just some of the things I've found I use almost every day with my rotary vise.

And I'm still finding new things it will do....

Buddy

p.s; AND, if you use hot glue or 5 minute epoxy, a rotary vise will simplify your chores and give you more consistent results with less effort...BS
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Buddy,

Way to go. After your rant on how to do this and that better in the book, I need to buy it now. Just finished Charlie Cravens book and picked up several great tips. They should put your thread on a book review, because they would sell a lot more books. Thanks for the info.

Beaver

+ Reply to Thread