+ Reply to Thread

Thread: THANKS, Mike ( ohiotuber )

Smile THANKS, Mike ( ohiotuber )

Mike is the winner of the August drawing for a day on DePuy's Spring Creek MT.

Mike "gifted" the prize to me. Although, and because, spring creek fishing is way outside my comfort zone, but more so because it was Mike who offered the opportunity, I accepted.

Not sure yet just when I will schedule my day up there. After re-reading Neil Travis' article on "The Ultimate Fishing Experience" and visiting the Depuy's Spring Creek website ( follow the links ), it's going to take a day or two to sort out what kind of challenge I am up for.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...al20090803.php

www.depuyspringcreek.com

THANKS, Mike, for the opportunity and the challenge.

John
    The fish are always right.

I see a wonderful featured article in our fraternity's future...

Mike sure is class act.

Good on you John you deserve it..

Steve
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

John,
    Mikey has One of the "Biggest" and Giving Hearts of anyone I know, Several years ago He "Gifted" me with a 4wt "Scott" Rod, and apoligized that He couldn't include a reel with it.
    I am Proud to call Him a Friend.
    Way to Go Mike

I am humbled by the kind words. Thank you all.
    John....As I wrote in a PM to you, I am just a "so-so" fly fisher but caught 4 browns on my 1st trip to Mossy Creek in Virginia...that's a tough spring creek & I plead "beginner's luck". I honestly believe that if you go expecting to catch a big, fat ZILCH, then you CANNOT be disappointed! When you have nothing to lose, you have everything to gain, so TRY!...Irish logic
    Mikey
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bdesavage View Post
    John,
    Mikey has One of the "Biggest" and Giving Hearts of anyone I know, Several years ago He "Gifted" me with a 4wt "Scott" Rod, and apoligized that He couldn't include a reel with it.
    I am Proud to call Him a Friend.
    Way to Go Mike
    I agree! He also gave me an 8wt Orvis Clear Water with Rocky Mountain large arbor reel, line, spare spool and sink tip line on it.

Mike is a wonderful guy!

Wink Happy Birthday, John

Decided to make Mike's gift a birthday present from him to me. I'll be spending 4-5-10 ( no. 68 ) on DePuys Spring Creek fishing midge and baetis life cycle patterns and maybe some streamers.

Also, this really should be an FAOL event**, so I'm going to do my best to make it just that. Sometime later today, I'll start a thread on the Fly Tying Forum to get that process started.

Thanks again, Mike.

John

** Would you believe that Steve saw it coming ??
    The fish are always right.

I had the pleasure of meeting Mikey at the 08 Michigan Fish In and found him to be a class act.
    Remember we all live down stream

You rock Mikey.

John: You're more than a proficient flycaster, and I know you know about stealth and presentation, so you're three quarters of the way to being successful already. Just study up on what to toss at them, and how they like it presented, and the rest is in the hands of the elements.
    It was my birthday yesterday, and to celebrate, I went up on the South Fork in your stomping grounds, and educated a few. Maybe, since you left, they aren't so terror stricken, and therefore easy enough for me to catch.
    They're just fish, right? Right?

Default You'll catch fish.

I've fished it twice and caught fish both times - and I certainly don't consider myself a great (most of the time not even good) fly fisherman. If all else fails, black woolly buggers work here too. I've found Nelson's to be the toughest, and most fun.

I bet there will be lots of baetis and maybe even other bugs. I once fished it on December 31 and saw a few baetis (the fish did too).

Post a report with pics when done.

Thumbs up

Classy guy indeed...
    A good friend to have...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

+ Reply to Thread